Microbiology Research Technician
The WRAIR aims to conduct biomedical research that is responsive to Department of Defense and US Army requirements and delivers lifesaving products including knowledge, technology and medical material that sustain the combat effectiveness of the Warfighter.
We are seeking a Microbiology Research Technician to work at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego, California.
- Serve as a laboratory technician working under the supervision of a principal investigator (Research/Clinical Scientist) or contractor laboratory manager/supervisor in performing laboratory procedure and experiments as required for the phenotypic and genotypic characterization of MDRO
- Perform experimental work including serological assays, chemical assays, genetic and molecular biology procedures, growth of solid and liquid cultures
- Perform routine laboratory duties required for the smooth and safe operation of laboratory such as maintaining a supply of clean glassware, properly disposing of hazardous biological and chemical waste, preparing reagents, and maintaining an inventory of laboratory chemicals
- Collect and process blood specimens from submitting laboratories
- Send the shipping supplies to submitting facilities and laboratories
- Verify analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods
- Work with Physician to analyze results and conduct more difficult, non-routine tests
- Maintain a laboratory notebook in which accurate and complete records of laboratory work is maintained in accordance with accepted standards
- Follow laboratory SOPs and specific written experimental protocols as well as oral instructions in performing assigned experimental work
- Submit reports and data summaries when applicable
- Comply with occupational health and safety standards and other applicable regulations and guidelines which may include medical surveillance
- Participate in the development of research protocols and grant proposals and in the conduct of research related to MRSN activities
- Attend relevant seminars, scientific conferences and meetings to the MRSN
- Operate systems/methodologies in order to produce timely and accurate data for patients, Quality Control (QC), and proficiency testing
- Ensures quality specimens for laboratory testing
- Report clinical data accurately and efficiently to ensure givers receive timely patient information
- Works to improve and expand the skill set of others involved with this effort by communicating and maintaining team knowledge
- Familiarity with the processing of microbial identification and antibiotic susceptibility testing data generated on the three most widely used automated systems: Phoenix, Microscan, and Vitek2
- Strong teamwork and collaboration abilities
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment using critical thinking skills and decisive judgement with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, lifting, grasping and repetitive motion.
- Lifting up to 50 pounds
- Occasional stooping, squatting, pushing, pulling climbing, and overhead lifting
- AS or BS in Biology, Chemistry or Microbiology
- Experience in clinical microbiology or molecular biology outside of an academic setting
- GLP/GCP training
- MLT/MT certification preferred
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please visit the following two sites:
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may e-mail CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, click here: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf