Job Title: Coach
Reports to: Activities Director
To help each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Be well versed and knowledgeable in matters pertaining to the sport.
- Be prompt and organized concerning practice/contests.
- Maintain individual and team discipline and control.
- Develop a well-organized practice schedule which utilizes staff and team to its maximum potential.
- Be fair, understanding, tolerant, sympathetic and patient with team members.
- Be innovative in using new coaching techniques and ideas in addition to sound, proven methods of coaching.
- Provide leadership and attitudes that produce positive attitudes and results.
- Know the medical aspects of the position including first aid, injury policies, working with doctors or family physicians.
- Use all ethical means of motivation, emphasizes values of competitive athletics, acceptable personal behavior, decision making and lasting values to each individual.
- Utilize practice time for both individual and team development.
- Develop respect by example in appearance, manners, behavior, language, and conduct.
- Develop sound public relations by cooperating with media and Booster Club.
- Cooperate and communicate with parents.
- Promote all activities in the school program attempting to foster school spirit.
- Cooperate in sharing facilities.
- Develop rapport with other teachers, coaches, and administration.
- Show an interest in athletes in off-season activities and classroom efforts.
- Management responsibilities as they pertain to the sports activity and school district:
- Submit a complete list of participants within one week of the beginning of any sports season.
- Follow proper transportation procedures.
- Maintain necessary attendance forms, insurance records, and similar paperwork.
- Prepare and file budget requests.
- File end of the year report.
- Assume responsibility for neatness of facilities and cooperation with custodians and maintenance personnel.
- Professional responsibilities as they pertain to the sports activity and the school district:
- Display enthusiasm and exhibit interest in the school's activity program.
- Participate in in-service meetings, clinics, and other activities to improve coaching performance.
- Provide training rules to team members in writing and follow due process procedures.
- Meet requirements for supervision of athletes as described in the athletic handbook.
- Understand and follow rules and regulations set forth by the Board, the Ozark Conference, and MSHSAA.
- Establish the fundamental philosophy, skills, and techniques to be taught.
- Assume responsibility for the conduct and sportsmanship of the squad.
- Assume responsibility for the overall supervision of the program, including Middle School and Middle School varsity programs.
Supervises students at all times.
- Missouri certification required
- Experience or knowledge of the sport the individual is coaching
- Such alternative to these qualifications that the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Skills and Abilities
Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, board policy, administrative procedures/forms, and government regulations and guidelines. Must be able to complete forms, write reports, and engage in written correspondence with parents.
The individual must have the ability to work with mathematical concepts as they relate to the sport.
Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Must be able to apply knowledge of current sports rules and regulations.
The individual must understand and utilize basic computer skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Coaching is both physically and mentally demanding. Each coach will regularly walk and possibly run, depending upon the sport; aerobic activity is regularly required; must be able to speak and hear in a noisy, active environment; some coaching positions require close vision, distance vision, and/or night vision.
Coaches may be required to lift or carry up to 50 lbs.
Consistent and regular attendance is an essential job function of this position.
Conditions and Environment
The work conditions and the environment described here are representative of those that an individual will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The individual who holds this position will regularly work in an environment that is noisy and active. Various coaches will be required to work outdoors in extreme heat or cold as their specific sports demands. Exposure to sharps and blood can be expected in all sports. The possibility of injury is dependent upon the sports activity. Coaching is both physically and mentally demanding.
Terms of Employment
As Scheduled. Salary and work year to be established by the Board.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board
Policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.