Urbana School District 116
TITLE: Middle School Foreign Language Teacher (Spanish)
LOCATION: Urbana Middle School
SUPERVISOR: Building Principals and assistant principals
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Principals or Assistant Principals, the teacher is responsible helping students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible men and women.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Is knowledgeable and competent in the specific Foreign Language area of instruction.
- Utilizes instructional strategies and practices that are best practice in the specific Foreign Language area of instruction.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned, student assessments, rubrics and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward achievement of curriculum goals and in harmony with the goals establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct; and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and inservice activities as directed.
- Serves on staff committees as required.
- Maintains professional relationships with students and faculty, follows ethics of the teaching profession and promotes the welfare of students at all times.
- Some teachers may serve as department chairs, team leaders and building curriculum coordinators.
- Bachelor's Degree, from an accredited college or university, with certification and endorsements.
- 2-3 years of teaching students at this level except in the case of a new college graduate.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be fluent in the specific Foreign Language area of instruction.
- In order to serve all students in this position, the ideal candidate would have a strong desire to work with bilingual and EL students.
LICENSES/CREDENTIAL: Valid Illinois Teaching Licensue with the appropriate content endorsements.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary is based on a step placement which is determined by education, experience and the Urbana Education Association and Board of education contract.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.
START DATE: ASAP
NOTE: This is a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
REVISED: April 2012