Job Title: Teacher – Coach
Reports to: Principal and Athletic Director
Dept./School: Assigned Athletic Campus
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Pay Grade: Teacher Pay + Stipend
Provide instruction and coach students to develop skills and ability to excel in sport assigned. Contribute to education program as a whole and to growth of students involved in athletics.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements for subject and level assigned, or
Valid Teaching Permit
ESL Supplemental Certification or must be aquired within first year of employment
General knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures
Knowledge of University Interscholastic League (UIL) and assigned coach rules and regulations
Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes in the assigned sport
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
At least one year student teaching or approved internship
At least three years of coaching or participating in organized sports (preferred)
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Demonstrates thoroughness, reliability and a high degree of accuracy in performing work assignments.
- Works cooperatively with others and maintains a positive attitude in the work environment.
- Demonstrates initiative and good judgment in problem solving and decision-making.
- Reports promptly and maintains good attendance.
- Uses time productively on the job.
- Follows district policies, rules and regulations.
- Accepts supervisory direction.
- Strives to improve job skills.
- Demonstrates tact, courtesy and helpfulness in dealing with staff, students, parents, and visitors in the district.
- Use a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and improve the abilities of student athletes in the sport assigned.
- Manage and supervise athletic activities, contests, and practice sessions to promote individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
- Work with other members of school staff to plan and put in place instructional goals and objectives to ensure the overall educational development of student athletes.
Job Title: Coach
- Establish performance criteria for competition and evaluate students’ athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis.
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Keep informed of and ensure compliance with all UIL rules.
- Monitor and enforce student eligibility criteria for extracurricular participation.
- Work with athletic director to schedule competitions and coordinate arrangements.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of coaching program and make changes based on findings.
- Accompany and supervise student athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports on out-of-town trips.
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices.
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, and while on trips off school property in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage, by example and through instruction, sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Assist in selection of equipment and instructional materials.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Maintain a current inventory of all fixed assets within program.
- Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all campus athletic equipment.
Supervise assigned assistant coaches and student athletic assistants.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent district-wide and statewide travel; frequent prolonged and irregular hours; outdoor exposure to sun and heat.