Title: Molecular Parasitology Lab Manager
Job Location: Silver Spring, MD
Odyssey Systems is seeking a Molecular Parasitology Lab Manager to support the Malaria Vaccine Research program for the Malaria Vaccine Program at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research to plan and perform in vitro and in vivo research using molecular biology, biochemistry, structural biology, and molecular immunology to generate candidate malaria vaccines/research antigens and investigate immune responses to these antigens in pre-clinical (lab rodents, New Zealand White rabbits, nonhuman primates) and from clinical (human) vaccine trials.
*** This is a forecasted position and it is contingent upon contract award. ***
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is an innovative small business committed to providing world-class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Perform all steps associated with molecular engineering;
- Perform all steps associated with protein expression, purification and characterization to include (but not limited to) fermentation, microfluidization, chromatography, methods for protein quality and quantitation assessment; gels and Western blots, and immunochemistry;
- Perform all assays associated with the immunochemical and immunological characterization of recombinant proteins;
- Perform specialized humoral assays to include subunit, avidity, and isotyping ELISAs, IFA, Multiplexbased assays;
- Perform and develop functional assays that determine the biological function of antibodies.;
- Perform research on cellular immune responses using standard techniques such as ELISPOT, Multiplex based assays, Flow-Cytometry and shall perform aseptic tissue culture;
- Prepare standards and solutions as tasked;
- Maintain an accurate log of reagents, laboratory supplies and equipment;
- Perform general laboratory administrative duties;
- Perform standard animal handling techniques (rodents and nonhuman primates) as required;
- Prepare oral and poster presentations for presenting at the approved conference;
- Give oral presentations at laboratory meetings;
- Provide assistance with preparation of progress reports/technical reports and standard operating procedures;
- Perform work closely with other Government, Military and Contractor personnel to develop, and gain the approval of human and animal use protocols as are required for the performance of this task;
- Perform laboratory tasks according to established Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s);
- Establish Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for assays;
- Maintain and update laboratory notebooks and computer electronic files with detailed experimental plans, data and data analysis;
- Maintain a clean and safe laboratory;
- Maintain and operate Government-owned equipment (ELISA plate washers and readers, Malverns Nanosight and DLS instruments, BIAcore affinity measurement equipment (such as the Attana), flow cytometers, cell counters, cell sorters, array readers, microfluidizers, fermentors, centrifuges, imaging systems, microscopes);
- Maintain a safe workplace ensuring that he/she is aware of and observes appropriate safety and occupational health rules and regulations;
- Attend institutional safety training and report any infractions of safety procedures to the facility Safety Officer;
- Maintain an appropriate, professional demeanor at all times and be able to work as a team member.
- It may be necessary for the contractor to travel off site to perform experiments. These locations are to be determined. Functions shall include: assist with immunizations and challenges; discussion of study with off-site scientists; training of off-site investigators on specimen collection and processing, performing challenges; learning techniques at offsite laboratories; and/or retrieval of specimens and documents.
- MS in Microbiology and Immunology
- 2+ years of experience
- Knowledge of research laboratory management to include ordering supplies, reagents, and managing archives, inventories, and budgeting spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of supplies ordering/procurement with training and use of the Defense Medical Logistics Standard Support (DMLSS), Electronic Centralized Acquisition Tool (ECAT), and Medical Master Catalog (MMC) systems
- Design and validation parameters for ELISA assay development and testing.
- Familiarity with isolating malaria parasites from infected mosquitoes for use in in vitro functional assays and for challenging mice.
- Ability to handle mice, perform injections, collect blood and splenocytes.
- Ability to quantify cellular immune responses by measuring cytokine profiles using ELISpot and MesoScale Discovery (MSD).
- MS in Microbiology and Immunology
- GCLP, GLP certifications
- US Citizenship required
- National Agency Clearance and Inquiries (NACI)
- Travel may be required
Availability of positions is contingent upon contract award.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Paid Holidays
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Gym Memberships
- On Site Cafeteria
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Professional Development
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid sick days
- Employee Referral Program
- Life Insurance
- Military Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts