How will your role impact First Command?
Reporting to the Banking Product Solutions Leader, the Mortgage Consultant is responsible for providing world class service for advisors and clients for all inside sales mortgage requests in the purchase of a residential property and refinancing of an existing mortgage. The Mortgage Consultant will pre-qualify all internal referrals and with the intent to proceed, originate mortgage loan applications by examining information on all applications, supporting documentation and estimating credit worthiness. The role will advise clients of suitable loan programs and products available to best meet their needs. Processes mortgage loans by collecting supporting documentation and verifying information provided. Communicates with clients and advisors throughout the mortgage process to ensure the loan closes in a timely fashion.
What will you be doing?
- Promptly respond to mortgage referrals from field staff on mortgage opportunities
- Meet with clients via phone or video conferencing to determine their needs and recommend loan products to help meet their goals
- Performs pre-qualifications and/or pre-approvals for clients to begin property search
- Provides price quotes according to specific investor guidelines
- Pulls credit report to analyze credit worthiness of clients.
- Uploads borrower and loan information into wholesale processing system.
- Calculates debt to income and loan to value in order to qualify borrower for loan program.
- Runs automated underwriting to determine borrowers qualifications for specific loan programs.
- Collects financial information from applicants (bank statements, tax returns, pay stubs etc.)
- Orders appraisals from approved appraiser list including final inspections when needed.
- Orders title work and other legal documents from title company, attorney or escrow agent closing loan.
- Obtains hazard insurance or other necessary insurance paperwork.
- Follows up with client and advisor during the processing of the loan to keep them informed and ensure client satisfaction.
- Monthly and quarterly reporting.
- Work closely with the consumer loan department and advisor to offer potential enrichment opportunity to refinance existing mortgage
- Perform continuing education as needed with NMLS registry and wholesale mortgage lender requirements
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
What skills/qualifications do you need?
- Must pass background check and register with the National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS)
- Access to home office with internet access
- Ability to work weekend hours when necessary
- High School diploma required
- College degree preferred
- 2 to 5 years of mortgage origination or processor experience required
- Inside sales experience preferred
- First Command experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to make independent decision about many different products available for clients.
- Strong listening, problem solving and out of-box thinking skills.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures of secondary market mortgage lending.
- Knowledge of all Federal Real Estate Lending compliance regulations (RESPA,T-I-L, Fair Lending, Homeowners Protection Act, Privacy Laws, etc.)
- Knowledge of investor guidelines and requirements. (VA, FNMA, FHLMC)
- Ability to multi-task with strong attention to detail while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding communication skills, organization, accuracy, detail orientation.
- Proficiency with MS Office and paperless processing.
- Ability to work independently.
The information of this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, which may vary on the department or the assignment. The actual essential duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary by department, reporting structure and other business needs. No inference should be drawn that a specific job duty, responsibility or qualification is non-essential by its absence from this description.