Will be responsible for underwriting agency and portfolio loans to established company and investor guidelines. The position requires that the candidate have the ability to clearly communicate underwriting decisions and stipulations to sales, processing staff and borrowers.
- Underwrite primarily agency loans but also have ability to underwrite portfolio loans.
- Review and evaluate loan documents to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with company standards, federal and agency standards and guidelines, as well as any applicable state-specific and or local regulations, ordinances, etc.
- Analyze customer's loan-to-value ratio, debt-to-income ratio, credit report, application, income and assets, source(s) of down payment funds, and supporting documentation to identify potential fraud or misrepresentation.
- Review appraisals to ensure that loans meet secondary market, investor, and company standards.
- Work with Loan Processors and Loan Officers on collecting information and documentation necessary to finalize incomplete loan packages.
- Determine if additional documentation or information would aid loan decision; request additional documentation or information accordingly.
- Provide options and recommendations to borrowers regarding suitable loan programs.
- Stay abreast of current regulations and industry trends that affect compliance and decision-making.
- Verify that system input is accurate and that company systems match Automated Underwriting System (AUS).
- Use expertise to answer questions and resolve escalated issues from junior-level teammates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college courses/technical training related to Business, Finance/Accounting, Legal, or related field is preferred, along with total recent work experience that includes five or more years underwriting conventional loans.
- Expert-level knowledge of overall mortgage lending processes, including underwriting, funding, and loan processing.
- Expert-level knowledge of valid documentation related to the processing consumer mortgage applications (e.g., tax returns, financial statements and records, verification of income and deposits, etc.).
- Expert-level knowledge of underwriting and regulatory requirements; detailed knowledge of federal, state, and regulatory requirements/guidelines related to consumer mortgage lending and internal processes and controls.
- Ability to think critically, including the ability to evaluate facts and data to draw conclusions, and determine the downstream impact of decisions and associated risks.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment; strong sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Intermediate math skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong detail orientation and highly organized.
- Prior experience using internal data entry systems, Microsoft Word, Excel and PDF/Document Retention programs.
- Experience working within Encompass preferred.