The Credit Underwriter at Quicken Loans Mortgage Services (QLMS) reviews financial documents and mortgage applications to make proper credit decisions on each loan reviewed. This team member is a problem-solver and very detail-oriented, and they effectively communicate with internal team members and third-party originators. They use tact, ethics and grace to dig deep to find answers for our clients. The ability to work efficiently in a high-pressure environment is necessary for success in this role.
- Previous mortgage underwriting experience
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- General understanding of current mortgage banking guidelines, loan programs and trends
- Strong proficiency in PC platforms, the Microsoft Office suite and multiple internet browsers
- Motivated self-starter who's willing to work extra hours as needed
- Strong sense of urgency with a passion for providing exceptional client service
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics, finance, mathematics, actuarial science or another relevant field
- Prior mortgage experience in underwriting, processing or origination
- Experience in a role that includes evaluating credit or financial risk
- Underwriting experience in industries other than mortgages
- Review all application documents and credit reports
- Identify potential fraud and occupancy red flags
- Verify client identity and order verification documents from third-party sources
- Update client and lien information
- Verify and calculate whether clients' income, assets and credit meet guidelines
- Verify we have all documentation supporting what is being used to qualify our clients
- Communicate clearly and effectively with third-party originators throughout the underwriting process
Who We Are
We’re America’s largest mortgage lender, closing loans in all 50 states. J.D. Power ranked Quicken Loans “Highest in Customer Satisfaction in Primary Mortgage Origination” for the past 10 consecutive years, 2010 – 2019. The company was also ranked highest in the nation for client satisfaction among mortgage servicers by J.D. Power for 6 consecutive years, 2014 through 2019, each year the company was eligible. There’s a simple reason we’ve been so successful: We care about the people we work with.
If you’re tired of stuffy, bureaucratic workplaces, then you’ll be delighted to find something different here. We strive to make a creative, fun and collaborative environment you simply won’t find anywhere else. Quicken Loans was named #1 in ESSENCE Magazine’s first ever list of “Best Places to Work for African Americans” in 2015. We've been on Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT" list for 13 years running, hitting #1 the last 5 years. We were also ranked #14 in FORTUNE Magazine’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For" in 2018, remaining in the top 30 for the past 15 years.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.