Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
Times Community News is looking to add a part-time copy editor to work 20 hours a week in Fountain Valley.
If you join us, you will:
- Edit articles, photo captions and galleries, text for graphics and databases, and other content for grammar, syntax and Los Angeles Times style, as well as for formatting, search engine optimization, taste and legality
- Serve as a quality-control specialist, ensuring that all content complies with Times Community News standards
- Write engaging headlines and photo captions that are optimized for search and can perform well on social media
- Provide “one-touch” editing, working with a level of accuracy that allows immediate posting on the website
- Operate in a fast-paced environment with continuous digital publishing demands and daily print deadlines
- Expedite the movement of material between the website and print by collaborating with copy editors, assigning editors, reporters, website editors, page designers, graphics editors and photo/visual journalists
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications or related field, or equivalent experience
- Superior skills in line editing and headline writing, combining news judgment and knowledge of taste and legal considerations, gained through at least two years of experience
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team setting and multitask in a deadline-driven environment
- Expertise in using production systems and software tools required to edit, produce and curate content for digital and print. This may include Graphene, Slack, NewsGate/CCI, the Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs, search engines and social media tools
- Versatility and adaptability, working not just across production platforms but also across subject areas
This position is in the Los Angeles Times Guild and is based in our Fountain Valley newsroom. Weekend and night shifts are expected.
Please apply to Assistant Managing Editor John Canalis through the Career application on Workday.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.