Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
The Los Angeles Times has an opening for a temporary full-time multiplatform copy editor in our El Segundo, Calif., office. The position will be for six months and will include night and weekend shifts.
If you join us, you will:
- Edit articles, live blogs, videos, photo captions and galleries, text for graphics and databases, and other content for grammar, syntax and Times style, as well as for formatting, search engine optimization, taste and legality
- Serve as a quality-control specialist, ensuring that all content complies with Times standards
- Write engaging headlines and photo captions that are optimized for search and can perform well on social media
- Provide “one-touch” editing, working with a level of accuracy that allows immediate posting on the website
- Operate in a fast-paced environment with continuous digital publishing demands and daily print deadlines
- Expedite the movement of material between the website and print by collaborating with copy editors, assigning editors, reporters, website producers, page designers, graphics editors and photo/visual journalists
- Help accelerate the digital transformation of our newsroom
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications or related field
- At least four years of editing experience
- Superior skills in line editing and headline writing, combining news judgment and knowledge of taste and legal considerations
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team setting and multitask in a deadline-driven environment
- Expertise in using production systems and software tools required to edit, produce and curate content for digital and print. This may include Slack, NewsGate/CCI, the Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs, search engines and social media tools
- An ethical and inclusive approach in the workplace that promotes positive collaboration
- Understanding the importance of accuracy and precision
- Versatility and adaptability, working not just across production platforms but also across subject areas
Qualified applicants should upload a resume and cover letter to Loree Matsui, assistant managing editor for multiplatform copy editing, at the apply link. Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen, and is labeled “Upload.”
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.