The National Account Manager (NAM) is a field-based position dedicated to fostering relationships with, educating and influencing managed market payer organizations and Integrated Delivery Networks (IDNs) to increase appropriate physician/patient access to current and future Zimmer Biomet Early Intervention products. This involves influencing both medical and pharmacy benefit plans for commercial, Medicare Advantage and Medicaid payer segments as well as IDN P&T Committees to execute profitable market access and contract strategies. The candidate shall have a proven track-record of strong existing relationships with pharmacy and clinical policy personnel at many of the national commercial payers and the top 10-20 regional payers in their territories.
The candidate shall have a strong understanding of federal, state, and third-party payer systems and reimbursement in the specialty pharmaceutical space, in particular with physician-administered treatments that are reimbursed through both pharmacy and medical benefit channels. The candidate shall also possess a thorough understanding of formulary and coverage policy development along with experience in negotiating such pharmaceutical rebate and product purchase agreements with commercial and public payers and IDNs.
This position requires close coordination with many internal departments and functions – Regional Sales Directors, Distributor Sales Professionals, Marketing, Contract Operations, Distribution Channel Management, and Clinical Liaison Managers. The candidate shall possess strong verbal and written communication skills and produce results in a team-oriented environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Fully accountable for the development and execution of profitable managed-market strategies in the designated market segments for assigned products
• Secure appropriate and profitable payer access by positively influencing pharmacy & medical coverage policies and optimizing formulary position and payment for designated Zimmer Biomet products
• Proactively develop high-level business relationships with key decision makers by:
Providing appropriate levels of data to gain interest and traction;
Delivering analysis of scientific data, clinical practice goals, guidelines and anticipated economic outcomes as basis for ongoing payer-related efforts and interaction;
Engaging clinical expertise of Clinical Liaison Managers or medical providers in delivering comprehensive product and disease state presentations to key decision makers.
• Coordinate strategy, action planning, and reporting to address national provider coverage and/or reimbursement needs by:
Providing high-value interaction with key payer contacts, physicians and institutional customers to overcome medical and economic barriers and contribute to positive sales results;
Build relationships with national policy leaders, societies, HCP doctors and nurses, practice managers and patient organizations to monitor coverage and reimbursement issues.
Maintain and share key information regarding contracts, coverage and payment requirements, trends, competitive intelligence, policy drivers, etc. across the organization.
• Effectively partner with field Regional Sales Directors, Market Access and Clinical Liaison teams to provide support and information to payer and HCP customers in order to ensure optimal, appropriate and efficient access to Zimmer Biomet therapies.
• Create, utilize, and be able to decipher complex analytics related to the assigned product segment
• Uncover and communicate internally all possible RFP opportunities from assigned customer landscape in a timely fashion
Expected Areas of Competence
• Excellent technical knowledge and expertise in payer pharmacy and medical policy, including all elements of reimbursement (coding, coverage and payment).
• Well-developed analytical, problem solving, and influencing skills
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage high-impact relationships, contracts, and projects
• Analytical/problem-solving skills with ability to understand business and financial implications of complex pre- and post-deal analytics, bids, contracts and formulary access restrictions
• Ability to develop and execute innovative strategies to overcome disadvantaged product situations
• Ability to work independently as a self-motivator, gaining access to key decision makers that generates positive progress or traction across accounts
• Strong Knowledge of legal and compliance issues around ethical pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement
• Strong computer and financial modeling skills; Microsoft Office - MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, MS Word and MS Outlook.
• BA/BS or equivalent required. Advanced degree and/or course work preferred.
• Professional Experience: Minimum of 7-10 years combined experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech, or medical device environment of which at least 5-8 are in Managed Care Account Management; equivalent combinations of advanced degree(s) with related work experience may be considered.
• Possess a valid driver’s license in the state of residence and maintain satisfactory driving record.
• Located in geographical area advantageous to efficient travel to key accounts in assigned geography.
• Ability to work from a home office and field-based setting.
• Significant active contacts within key national and regional US payers is ideal.
• Approximately 50-70% Overnight