SWCA Environmental Consultants (SWCA) is seeking to fill 2 to 4 Natural Resource Field Technician positions for Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Assessment, Inventory, and Monitoring (AIM) vegetation and soil sampling. The Natural Resource Field Lead position requires an educational and/or experience background in natural resource management, range science, botany, soils, or a related field. These positions would be part of a three person team collecting vegetation, habitat, and soil data on BLM lands in Wyoming, Colorado, or Idaho.
This position is a temporary, full-time, position from approximately April/May to late August. Start date may be negotiable and additional fall work may be available. The position will report to a Project Manager located in Sheridan, Wyoming, however the field technician may be stationed near the survey area.
This is a field based position with approximately 100% of the work taking place in an outdoor environment where the climate, weather and terrain can be demanding. Field teams will be expected to work 10-12 hour days and will be required to camp for extended periods while in the field. In general, the field teams will work an eight (8) days on and six (6) days off field session. The position may involve an irregular schedule and extended hours.
Compensation would be between $16 to $19/hour, commensurate with experience, along with overtime (over 40 hours per week) and per diem. Field sampling equipment and vehicles will be provided by SWCA.
- Work with the AIM field lead, senior natural resource lead, and the project manager on implementation and completion of the project work.
- Conduct field work, following set vegetation, soil, and habitat sampling protocols with high data collection accuracy.
- Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other maps and scientific tools and equipment under arduous field conditions.
- Follow company and client safety protocols and maintain safe working environment.
- Minimum of enrollment in a botany, rangeland science, biology, natural resource management, soils, ecology or related field Bachelor’s degree. Completed Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) to three (3) months experience in conducting vegetation or soil sampling.
- Post-secondary college classes in vegetation identification, soil morphology, botany, or wildlife habitat preferred.
- Knowledge of vegetation and soil survey and monitoring techniques preferred.
- GPS experience preferred.
- Trailer and ATV/UTV experience preferred
- Ability to travel to a location, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, often at high altitudes, and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a 4WD vehicle on backcountry roads required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.