About Frontier Communications
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 29 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its FiOS® and Vantage™ fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
Network Architect for Voice/VoIP
The Network Architect for Voice/VoIP is responsible researching, documenting and communicating Frontier’s VoIP reference architecture. This includes evaluating emerging VoIP technologies and practices, recommending best practice architecture, designing VoIP network roadmap, creating soft-switch, SBC, and supporting network element test plans, and performing in depth vendor evaluations. The successful applicant will demonstrate extensive background in managing and deploying large scale service provider VoIP network with direct expert knowledge of leading soft-switch, SBC and network vendors such as: Genband, Metaswitch, Sonus, Broadsoft, and Acme Packet.
This individual will be required to help assemble capital budget inputs, create projects for new technology evaluation and manage lab evaluations. The position reports directly to the Director of Network Engineering
This position translates business and product requirements into functional requirements and integrates solutions into a cohesive technical architecture. This position oversees the development and definition of detailed system specifications and service requirements in support of new product rollouts including vendor selection, engineering analysis, product testing, and functional system integration testing and end-to-end network architecture for all voice equipment. The person in this position plays a key role within the organization by coordinating engineering and operations teams to integrate new products and services into the network.
The evaluation process for new products and services includes performing vendor and lab evaluations and network pilots, documenting recommendations and reporting on the results to Frontier’s Senior Leadership Team. The position also plays an important role in evaluating new business opportunities by identifying the technologies, costs and timeframes needed to create new revenue opportunities.
Specific duties/responsibilities/functions: Technology planning and evaluation as it pertains to system design requirements, including new equipment selection, integration, requirement specifications, requirement gathering, design selection, alternative recommendations, costing and scheduling. Must have the ability to work in a lab environment to define test plans and execute tests to meet customer requirements. Close coordination with Strategy and Product Development is needed to define new products and service requirements. Provide input to the development and documentation of guidelines and specifications for the proper configuration and usage of application equipment and it’s components within the network. Provide financial analysis on proposed products and justify the cost benefit of the new technology’s impact on Frontier’s network.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills associated with planning, design and implementation of customer services and network optimization on transport and IP based networks.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills required
- Fundamental understanding of both copper based and fiber-optic based networks
- Designing and engineering voice switches and gateways
- Very strong experience working with Ethernet voice/VoIP
- Strong understanding of VoIP protocols, SIP, RTP, H.232, MGCP
- Experience with channel banks, DCS, DSX panels and how they relate to the industry as a whole
- Experience with GTD5, 5ESS, DMS-10/100 and other legacy TDM PSTN switches
- Familiarity with SS7 signaling
- Knowledge of 911 systems and PSAPs
- A strong background in Internet technologies
- Knowledge of Ethernet and SONET/TDM transport services
- Strong understanding of layer 2 networks, VLAN tagging, QoS concepts
- Technical familiarity with wireless voice and packet data networks
- Must have strong knowledge of all access technologies including T-1, ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL, , bonding, vectoring, G.SHDSL, BPON, GPON, Active Ethernet
- Have a strong understanding of VoIP Feature servers and Gateways
- Strong understanding of VoIP IMS architectures and functionality.
- Familiarity with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac protocols
- Familiarity with the concept and challenges of switch collapse
- Technical familiarity with data aggregation concepts
- Knowledge of the market place with respect customer expectations on voice products
- Demonstrated understanding of the role and impact of cross-functional departments and their relative impact on company initiatives.
- Experience with Internet optimization technologies and congestion management systems.
- Traffic engineering and network modeling skills
- Knowledge of IP technology, including IPV4, IPV6 and related topics
- Able to clearly communicate plans, alternatives, and recommendations in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to train and mentor staff.
- Computer skills: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio used for formulating reports and generating presentations.
- 10 years experience in the voice arena