Title: Network Engineering Support
Employer: Bay Systems
Contract: 3 months likely longer
Location: University of California Office of the President (UCOP)
Support UCOP data network and services including data centers, cloud network services, wide area/metro area/local area networks. The incumbent manages operational reliability and performance of existing buildings and wide-area networks and quickly resolves any network service interruptions that occur. As required by business changes, extends and enhances the company network.
- May be required to implement new configurations.
- This position works as part of a Network Engineering group.
- May require travel outside of normal business hours.
- [May participate in 24x7 on-call support rotation]
- Responsible for complex network issue determination and resolution. Troubleshoots highly complex issues in network systems software and distribution and access electronics.
- Work directly with vendor/manufacturer technical support to isolate and resolve highly complex hardware and software issues.
- Coordinate with building services and data center staff to provision LAN, WLAN and other network services for new buildings, remodels, and demolition.
- Take a lead role in the management of all phases of multiple, large-scope, complex network projects: planning, design, procurement, implementation and documentation.
- Provide expert advice to other units on new or retrofit building projects and communications infrastructure.
- Evaluate broad and complex user and network requirements and design, specifies and installs core distribution and access electronics.
- Conduct project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons.
- Perform traffic study analysis to determine best configuration of network components.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- In-depth knowledge of Cisco VSS, routers, switches, ASA and ASA-SM firewalls.
- Ability to plan, configure, install and troubleshoot configurations for these devices.
- In-depth, advanced understanding of various network hardware platforms, network related protocols and software including understanding of OSI layer 2 and 3 IP/TCP protocols at a complex level and related technical standards critical to the operation of interconnected networks.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze highly complex communication hardware and software systems for maintaining a real-time resource that impacts OP-wide network users.
Advanced knowledge of professional communications and network systems in the completion of diverse assignments. Advanced knowledge of the practices and techniques of the data and voice field and the ability to determine a course of action based on guidelines. Understands implications of work on other areas. Has highly developed problem-solving skills to independently resolve issues using defined parameters and technical expertise. Clearly understands the communications and network needs of the organization and has skills needed to address those needs. Ability to interpret cabling plans and oversee installers to ensure standards are meet. Familiar with cabling and termination specification, maintenance and problem determination. Demonstrated ability to gather, organize and analyze data in the completion of a variety of functional assignments. Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to plan, configure and install Citrix NetScaler load balancing and content switching configurations
- Familiarity with InfoBlox NIOS-based DNS/DHCP/IPAM implementations.
- Good understanding of BGP routing protocols and their implementation on Cisco devices.
- Experience with the following equipment is preferred.
- Cisco 6500 switch/router
- Cisco 3850 switch/router
- Cisco 9300 switch
- Cisco 9500 router
- Cisco 4100 FirePower/FirePower Threat Detection (FP/FTD)
- Cisco 9800 wireless controller
- Cisco wireless access points (1142, 3600, 3700, 3800, 9100)
- Cisco ASR 1000 router
- Cisco ISR 4300 router/VPN
- Cisco ASA 5585-X Adaptive Security Appliance
- Cisco UCS/Fabric Interconnect
- Citrix ADC
- InfoBlox IPAM/DNS/DHCP appliances
Network Engineer / Architect