The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the national not-for-profit association established in 1863 that represents over 95,000 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia and uniformed services, is seeking a Network Support Technician to join our Digital Services and Solutions (DSS) team located at our Headquarters office in Schaumburg, Illinois, a northwest suburb of Chicago.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Infrastructure and Security Management, the Network Support Technician will be responsible for providing Tier 2 level technical support, network management and knowledge transfer/sharing of all technological aspects of the AVMA for our Headquarters office, Washington, D.C. office and remote staff; as well as volunteer leadership. In addition, this position will also assist with management of the AVMA network and support the DSS team with key infrastructure components, including routers, switches, firewalls and wireless technologies.
An associate degree in a computer-related field and 5-years of hands-on experience in both a technical support and networking role are required. Additional skills and qualifications include:
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to think through a problem logically and out-of-the-box
- Ability to prioritize and shift focus often throughout the day
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to communicate and interact with a variety of users, including staff and volunteer leadership
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening and problem-solving
- Experience with help desk ticketing system
- Remotely troubleshoot problems over the phone or with remote software
- Documentation/change management skills to assist in document problem resolutions
- High-level of experience with Microsoft Windows 10 Desktop Operating Systems; and Microsoft Windows Server operating systems, including Active Directory, DHCP, DNS and RDP roles and services
- Understand IT Security concepts with an emphasize on Windows fire security and permissions; and PCI requirements related to IT procedures and processes
- Experience with business productivity applications, such as Microsoft Office and Office 365
- Network management experience with routers, switches, firewalls and wireless technologies, including a strong understanding of Virtual Private Network (VPN) protocols
- Experience with: Backup Exec or Acronis; Network vendors, such as Cisco, Palo Alto, etc.; and Symantec anti-virus, preferred
- Ability to support integrated A/V systems for virtual meetings, such as Polycom, GoTo and Zoom
- Must be able to work after-hours and occasional weekends for maintenance/patching; travel on behalf of the Association, as required; and lift and transport computer hardware for installation/maintenance purposes, as needed
The AVMA offers excellent benefits and a supportive work environment. Deadline for applications is 7/28/202. Submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the AVMA:
Located in Schaumburg, Illinois, with an office in Washington, D.C., the AVMA is structured to work for its members and acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the veterinary profession. The AVMA provides many benefits to its members, including information resources; state and federal advocacy; opportunities to address issues affecting policies that govern the profession and practice of veterinary medicine; continuing education opportunities; quality publications; and discounts on personal and professional products, programs and services. The work of the AVMA is carried out by a dedicated staff of over 160. The organization is governed by an 18-member Board of Directors and has a $40M+ annual operating budget. For more information, please visit www.avma.org.