FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, approximately 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
This position is accountable, under general supervision, for the engineering, design, implementation, operation, maintenance, regulatory compliance, and ongoing reliability of Wide Area Network (WAN) technology & systems. This particular role has a strong emphasis on the underlying core Cisco DWDM optical system that run across the physical fiber optics backbone. Network engineering & operational support for network transport circuits is critical for successful 24x7 operations. Network transport facilities enable business units and critical operations to perform their functions and require 24-hour monitoring and support availability.
- Operate and maintain Cisco optical DWDM & SONET transport network systems.
- Manage projects as requested or required to support transport and IP communications initiatives.
- Develop plans and prepare engineering job packages consisting of detailed parts/equipment lists, logical installation instructions, and appropriate documentation (drawings, wiring diagrams, layouts, etc.) to support an efficient installation and maintenance process.
- Requisition equipment via the FE APR system and assign accurate accounting information.
- Support the 24x7 on-call rotation process by functioning as primary call contact and providing engineering second level backup to help troubleshoot and repair system/hardware failures or performance degradation.
- Work effectively & collaboratively with other team members to successfully implement transport projects.
- Follow established processes to manage FE documentation and drawings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Telecommunications, Engineering, Electronics Technology, or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Equivalent work experience includes: 7 - 10+ years progressive technical experience designing and operating Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), Optical Transport Network (OTN) mesh, and Synchronous Optical Network Transport (SONET). Experience in Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) systems would also be beneficial, but not necessary.
- Strong knowledge and hands on provisioning/operations experience with Cisco 15454 DWDM network infrastructure platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of Optical Transmission Principles, including standard wavelengths, typical attenuation, optical budgets, anomalies, etc.
- Fully capable of analyzing fiber characterization test results, including Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) traces, source-power meter, ORL and dispersion measurements.
- Familiarity with Multi-Mode Fiber (MMF) and Single Mode Fiber (SMF) cables, splice cases and Fiber Distribution Panels (FDPs).
- Demonstrable experience & expertise of troubleshooting skills in optical networks.
- General understanding of network layers and LAN/WAN topology (routers, switches, Ethernet, wireless, firewalls, etc.).
- General understanding of diagnostic procedures and tools in a Cisco optical environment. (Cisco TAC, Prime Optical, CTC, Cisco Transport Planner, SSH, and HP Operations Manager).
- General knowledge of IP network protocols such eBGP, iBGP, EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS.
- Solid background and experience with Microsoft personal computer hardware, operating systems, and application software (Office productivity tools).
- Drawing documentation utilizing Visio software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a virtual team, including management & supervision.
- Ability to work independently to drive projects and network issues to successful completion and resolution.
- Ability to travel across FirstEnergy’s multi-state region as needed to implement or restore optical systems.
- Availability to work change requests in standard telecom change windows (12am to 6am) when needed.
- Familiarity with structured change management processes.
- Demonstrates a questioning attitude to learn, produce results, and strengthen relationships
- Provides guidance to other employees in the use of research techniques
- Desire to continue to learn and grow and work across FirstEnergy departments in order to successfully complete projects on time and within budget
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Delivers quality, accurate work within established deadlines
- Demonstrates effective decision-making
- Superior written and verbal communication skills; ability to formally present complex subject matter to all levels of management
- Superior time management skills
- In-depth understanding of applicable products and/or services to support customer needs and expectations
- Utilizes best practices and techniques for addressing customer concerns
- Exercises independent judgment on projects and assignments
- Models active learning through continuing to develop breadth of knowledge, skills, and perspective
- Prior utility experience is preferred
- Preferred Industry Certifications: Cisco Certified Optical Specialist (CCOS), and or Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
- Preferred Knowledge of incident management systems like HP Service Manager that are used to track problems and planned activities.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team