The Enterprise Network Virtualization Architect's role is to strategically plan and design data network virtual infrastructures that supports core organizational functions, assure high availability, and integrate numerous requirements into a common infrastructure. The enterprise data network consists of multiple local/wide area networks (LAN/WAN), wireless, VOIP, and enterprise data centers, to include software defined networks.
Provide networking technical expertise and leadership across the organization; strategic decision making, and multi year improvement project planning and design; Evaluate and develop hardware and protocol standards and solutions; Evaluate, manage & deploy software defined networks to include VMWare NSX technologies. Coordinate and lead teams to resolve technical issues and provide cost effective solutions to meet project and operational requirements. Establish effective working relationships with a multi-discipline team; communicate effectively and explain technical information with both a technical and non-technical audience. Prepare cost estimates to design and construct network infrastructure. Provide independent technical review, technical reports, system documentation, and performance metrics. Conduct operational studies to analyze network performance, and identify areas for improvements. Research and apply various network topologies. Prepare equipment specifications.
The position also works as part of a cross-functional team that deals with the full spectrum of technology and will fulfill the role of third level support for network technologies, providing training and direction to other technical staff.
- Strategy & Planning -- Plans and coordinates the future state of the networks for CHRISTUS information management, with a focus on software defined networking. Designs network solutions that meet the information system vision and strategy of the organization; plans, prioritizes, and manages projects, service requests, and routine assignments. Present VMware NSX vision and technologies, strategy, and product roadmaps to executives, technical management and technical engineers.
- System Engineering -- Analyzes network configurations for critical corporate resources; develops plans and recommendations to improve the performance and efficiency of the network; addresses all aspects including hardware, software, outside services, etc. and prevents unplanned disruptions of critical systems.
- Architecture -- Captures, recording, and analysis of network events in order to discover the source of security attacks or other problem incidents using security best practices through unique protocol analysis real-time network data capture, advanced visualization, pattern and content analysis, and on-demand incident playback. Analyze network data for advance problem identification and vulnerability management.
- Network Design Modeling-- Assurance of all network systems integrate with IM vision. Allowing for flexible network systems at all networking data layers: Core, Distribution and access layer. Planning of modularity in network design is which allows network systems to be replicated as the network grows. As each element in the network design requires change, the Network Virtualization Architect will develop the cost and complexity of making the upgrade of the overall network.
- Software Defined Networking-- Establish network virtualization architecture, policies & procedures for CHRISTUS network based on business requirements. Provide best practices guidance for service delivery and support (SLA). Collaborate with server virtualization team to deploy and operate network micro-segmentation, partner services, and VXLAN.
- Network Security-- Collaborates and engages with CHRISTUS IM Security teams to ensure that the corporate security strategy is reflected in the design, implementation and day to day operations of the enterprise data network.
- Training & Certification - Maintains in-depth knowledge and current certification in internetworking technologies including but not limited to vendor certifications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related field required
- Extensive technical knowledge of Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks (WAN) and Access Networks to include:
- Expert knowledge in VMware NSX (VXLAN, Firewall, Micro-Segmentation, Load-balancing)
- Expert knowledge in Infoblox DNS, DHCP, GSLB
- Expert knowledge in Cisco UCS B-Series/C-Series Servers
- Ability to design, implement and support NSX and ensuring the solution can be easily supported and maintained
- Enterprise experience designing and implementing converged networks which should include the following: IP, Gigabit Ethernet, VoIP, and Wireless-based technology.
- Ability to design enterprise network routing architectures using protocols such as OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, RIP and static routes.
- Demonstrated ability for performing network management and documentation using industry standard network management and documentation tools
- Expert knowledge of Quality of Service, IPSec, Multicast and load balancing techniques are also essential.
- Expert knowledge of network security concepts and technologies
- Expert knowledge of Load Balancing (L-4 thru L-7, SSL, Methods, GSLB)
- Experience with one or more of the following models is desired:
- Cisco routers/switches, ASA Firewalls, Content Load Balancer and VPN
- Network General Network Forensics, Packet Analyzers
- Cisco/Avaya Voice of IP Networks (VOIP), Wireless
- Knowledge of local and wide area networking on multiple platforms: Windows, Unix, Linux and VMware; network protocols and routing; network, server, and host operating systems; IP networking, internet and intranet technologies; email, groupware, office automation and collaboration technologies; voice and/or data communications; voice and/or data networking; Windows desktop OS; server hardware, software, and administration.
- A total of ten (10) years of experience in mid/large corporate systems environment with a wide variety of Information Management systems, networks and technologies required.
- Minimum of (10) years of experience in network engineering, design, implementation and support of large scale LAN and WANs.
- Minimum of (2) years of experience in VMWare NSX technologies.
- Prior experience in a health care systems environment is a plus.
Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- Two or more of the following certifications required:
- Cisco CCNA/CCNP/CCIE
- At least one of the following certifications required:
- VMWare VCP-NV/VCIX-NV