NEUROSURGEON NEEDED - CONNECTICUT
Hartford HealthCare, Connecticut’s most comprehensive health system, is seeking a neurosurgeon to join Backus Hospital in Norwich, CT. Located on the Connecticut shore, Backus Hospital is strategically located approximately 35 miles from Hartford serving the health care needs of New London County and several surrounding counties. Backus Hospital is a 213-bed medical center established in 1893. Neurosurgery services are currently provided by one full time HHC neurosurgeon and two local neurosurgeons, who are nearing retirement and highly supportive of the hire. The new surgeon will walk into immediate volume with a focus on spine. Interests in complex spine, general intracranial and basic neurotrauma will be supported.
Practice and Hospital Highlights:
- 213-bed hospital with separate Medical and Surgical ICUs
- Hospital is a Level 3 trauma center - Q3 call schedule supported by mid-levels
- Position includes 80% time at Backus Hospital and 20% time at Hartford Hospital; opportunity to take complex cases to Hartford rather than simply transferring
- Block OR time at both Backus and Hartford Hospital
- Hartford Hospital affiliating with UCONN School of Medicine with bid for 2020 neurosurgery residency program; Clinical Assistant Professor track available.
- Hartford Hospital has existing neurology residency and general surgery residency; opportunities for teaching and collaborative clinical research – UCONN has dedicated research department and will support any project with nurse and/or research coordinator
- First year expected volume of 150+ cases and 200-250 cases once established
- Backus Hospital has a Globus Robot for spine surgery, purchasing Stealth Navigation, updating microscope and ancillary spine equipment.
- Hartford Hospital has 3 Stealth Navigation units, 2 O-Arms, 2 Mazor spine robots, 3 Zeiss microscopes, 4 dedicated neuro OR's, Leksell Frame for Stereotactic DBS, latest equipment for spine including 3 Jackson Tables, 1 ProAxis Spine Table, Varian Triology Radiosurgery Unit and 2 dedicated bi-plane angiosuites. Hartford is a Level 1 trauma center and Comprehensive Stroke Center with an 18-bed neuro-ICU, 9-bed step down unit and 2 helicopters.
- Shared PA service between Neuro and Ortho at Backus Hospital
- Competitive compensation plan including a base salary, RVU bonus and call pay plus allotment of capital specifically for equipment.
Located in Eastern Connecticut along the Long Island Sound, Norwich, which is known as 'The Rose of New England', is a city in New London County with a metro population of roughly 275,000 residents. It lies at the confluence of the Yantic and Shetucket rivers, which form the Thames. Rapid industrial growth transformed Norwich into a modern urban center by the early 20th century. Today, Norwich is a thriving city with a stable population, full range of municipal services, a modern industrial park and a minor league ball team.
Norwich is located just 45 minutes from Hartford and under 2 hours from Boston and under 3 hours from New York City.
Please send CV and letter of interest to Clayton Tebbetts, Physician Recruiter Clayton.Tebbetts@hhchealth.org