Job Summary: The New Product Development Engineer will be a member of the team responsible for delivering bedding related products to market which have or interface with products containing electrical or mechanical components. Some of these products will include adjustable bed bases having DC motors, control boxes, remote controls and power supplies, as well as other products containing electrical and mechanical hardware. This position will be responsible for ensuring the design, development and delivery of these products is done in accordance with the company's commitment to providing high quality, innovative, durable bedding solutions.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Key Results Area:
* Lead the technical design, development and delivery of electro-mechanical products including maintaining of schedule, adherence to KPIs and completion of all validation activities.
* Define Test Plan criteria for electro-mechanical products and perform validation activities including local testing as well as scheduling and monitoring of tests performed at other internal and external locations.
* Gather product requirements from Marketing for new product concepts and generate Statements of Work (SOW) to be provided to the internal Sourcing team during quoting activities with suppliers.
* Establish EH&S and other Regulatory requirements for product development and ensure all testing and certification is done in accordance with prescribed standards such as UL and FCC.
* Perform system and component level testing using laboratory tools and equipment such as digital oscilloscopes, AC/DC power supplies, hand-held multimeters, load cells, impact testers, static weights and sound meters.
* Conduct failure analysis on electrical and mechanical components which fail to meet product specifications during Test Plan execution and work directly with suppliers to provide corrective actions.
* Create and maintain issues during product development on industry standard problem tracking tools such as Jira and/or Excel and work closely with suppliers to resolve all open issues.
* Regularly communicate project status as the technical lead on internal cross-functional teams as well as host regular meetings with suppliers to discuss technical issues.
* Attend product builds at suppliers during various stages of development to monitor and direct the manufacturing methods used to produce samples for testing.
* Work with suppliers to generate and review documentation necessary to support product development and launch including DFMEAs, PFMEAs, Product Specifications, Owner's Manuals, Regulatory Certificates and other printed materials.
* Support concept development by creating prototypes for review with Marketing using off-the-shelf electrical or mechanical components as well as technologies provided by new suppliers for integration within current products.
* Collaborate with Marketing and Legal on the creation of product claims and provide data for claims substantiation through validation testing.
* Facilitate and lead product, aesthetic and usability reviews with internal cross-functional teams including Customer Service, Delivery, Product Engineering, Merchandising, Marketing and Sales.
* Perform other technical duties as necessary to ensure the overall success of the project and business.
Other primary duties and responsibilities include the following; however, Management reserves the right to assign or reassign other appropriate duties to this job at any time. This document excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
Ideal Candidate Possesses These Attributes:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Experience generating technical presentation material for peer and executive reviews.
* Capable of working well independently as well as collaboratively on cross-functional teams.
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
* Strong analytical background for technical problem solving.
* Able to collect, organize and analyze data effectively.
* Familiar working with Project Management stage-gate processes.
* Ability to work under pressure in fast-paced, development environment.
* Team player willing to accept and seek input from others.
* Willingness to multi-task and provide support beyond project when necessary.
Internal and External Interfaces:
-Member of Electro-Mechanical Department
* Team of 3 engineers.
* Project Management Organization (PMO), Sourcing, Product Engineering, Marketing, Legal, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Finance, Customer Service.
* Suppliers, Component Manufacturers, Testing Services.
Tempur Sealy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
* Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
* 5 years of experience in an engineering role responsible for development and delivery of consumer products from concept through commercialization.
* Experience with mechanical 2D/3D CAD packages preferred (SolidWorks, NX, etc.)
* Experience with electrical CAD packages preferred (OrCad, Gerber, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be capable of performing each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements herein are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
* Hand-held Multimeters
* Digital Oscilloscopes
* AC/DC Power Supplies
* Load Cells
* Sound Meters
* Impact Testers
* Static Weights
* Some Heavy Lifting
* Fork Truck Operation
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Fast-paced corporate office and lab environments. Some stress may occur. Regular travel is not expected in this position; however, limited domestic and international travel may be necessary in association with projects and other development activities. Routine handling of product including boxing, unboxing, setup, disposal, etc., of items in excess of 100 lbs. should be expected.
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties, responsibilities, and key results outlined herein.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled