- Position Type:
Center Based and Special Education Services
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
Widening Advancements for Youth - website
- W-A-Y Academy of Detroit Southwest Campus
Special Education Teacher/Expert and Mentor Position
Qualifications: Michigan Special Education Teaching Certification in the following areas: Full Approval, or Learning Disabilities (LD), or Emotional Impairment (SA).
Location: Detroit Southwest
About W-A-Y Academy
W-A-Y Academy is a dynamic blended learning community of high school aged youth (researchers) who are seeking innovative, effective educational options. The primary aim of the W-A-Y Academy is to engage teenagers in learning, foster the desire and ability to develop into lifelong learners, achieve their high school diploma and ultimately to become contributors to society.
Job DescriptionsSpecial Education Teacher/Expert- Academy Lab (5-Day)
Essential Skills Required
- Knowledge of and professional qualification in their area of expertise.
- Good communication using a range of multimedia.
- Ability to develop activities to ensure success for individual students/researchers.
- Assessment and accreditation skills.
- Computer literate with an ability to build web based resources.
- Report writing and development plan writing skills.
- Broad educational experience.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to manage and work within a large team.
- Experience communicating and networking with other professional agencies.
- Mac literacy and some technical literacy.
- An understanding of issues surrounding young people's disaffection with education.
- Understanding of research methodology and skills.
- Presentation skills.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Collaborate with WAY Teacher/Experts and Team Leaders on behalf of students with disabilities.
- Work as a member of a multidisciplinary evaluation team to assist in the evaluation of the educational needs of students suspected of having or with a confirmed disability, including obtaining student records from previous schools.
- Refer, secure, and coordinate ancillary student services as necessary, including transition consultant and outside agency involvement as indicated by the IEP.
- Serve as case coordinator for students on caseload, completing all required special education paperwork (e.g. author IEPs, REEDs, Mets, etc.), as well as scheduling and chairing IEPT meetings.
- Evaluate student data and progress to determine appropriate special education needs and supports.
- Work with Experts and WAY Program Team Leader(s) to ensure the students' IEPs are implemented.
- Support students with IEPs in the WAY Program lab setting as needed.
- Periodically evaluate student progress on IEP objectives and provide reports.
W-A-Y is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No W-A-Y employee will discriminate unlawfully against an applicant for employment or fellow employee because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability which is unrelated to the person's ability to do the job, or any other unlawful criteria.
"The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed, controlled substance in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the Academy."