Quanta Magazine is looking for a highly organized and motivated news assistant. This is an outstanding opportunity for a recent college graduate or a more experienced assistant or producer to dive into science, journalism and publishing while developing digital editing and production skills.
- Ensure agreements are organized, archived and submitted promptly.
- Process and archive invoices from freelancers and other vendors.
- Manage editor-in-chief’s calendar and monthly expense report.
- Organize meetings and events, including weekly team meetings, annual board meetings and workshops.
- Coordinate the editorial calendar, including scheduling freelance fact checkers and copyeditors.
- Manage the general inbox.
- Document syndicated articles.
- Archiving digital assets in our digital assets management tool.
- Manage the Amazon Store.
- Assisting with research for the art department and podcast; contacting scientists, artists, photographers, writers and press officers to track down images, audio and possibly video.
- Assist the art department with tracking down Creative Commons or stock imagery for articles.
- Retouching, resizing images/videos and exporting for web.
- Document credits, source, licensing, and all other photo research information.
- Assisting with graphics, interactive features, and videos as needed.
- Creating social media assets (Designed specifically for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc).
- Assisting with web production in WordPress.
Performing any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A focus on science, journalism and/or visual arts would be a plus.
- A background or strong interest in physics, mathematics, biology and computer science.
- Photo research and knowledge of copyright restrictions.
- Photoshop for color correction, editing and preparing files for the web.
- Photo and video editing experience (Lightroom, Premiere Pro, After Effects or other video editing software) is a plus.
- Eye for creative social media assets
- Prior experience with web production, especially through WordPress, is strongly desired.
- Experience in a similar role at a newsroom, publishing house, science publication or a related field would be an asset.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Sound judgment and discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with all levels of the organization and external communities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Comfort working independently and collaboratively.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with multimedia editing and file-sharing tools, Internet and social media standards and basic HTML, are a plus.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Enthusiasm and passion for math, science and journalism.
- Ability to apply SEO metadata to support storage and retrieval of digital content
- Quick and eager learner, particularly when it comes to new production tools and technologies and social media trends
- Graphic/web design, photography, and/or motion graphics editing experience a plus
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a résumé and a cover letter describing your interest in this position.
- Portfolio (if you have one, please provide a link)
The Simons Foundation’s Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.