The Charlotte Observer is looking for a news editor to lead our breaking news and public safety coverage, along with planning our daily digital news report.
This editor will work closely with the metro editor and others to lead our journalists in selecting, pursuing and writing stories that will inform, entertain and ignite the interest of readers in the Charlotte area and beyond. Day-to-day duties will include assisting with assignments, scheduling, story budgeting, editing and ensuring that our work reaches the widest audience possible. This editor will also have important digital duties, including homepage management.
This is a position for a well-rounded journalist with news reporting experience as well as a strong background in editing. This editor should be a skilled coach who can help reporters build sources, come up with story ideas and elevate their overall coverage.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Edit breaking news and daily and enterprise stories for all platforms.
- Assist reporters in developing beats and story ideas exclusive to The Observer.
- Work with reporters and editors to bring those ideas to publication in a timely manner.
- Coach reporters to achieve high-quality journalism and strong audience results.
- Work with visuals team to ensure video and photos are included with most stories.
- Use strong editing and writing skills and excellent news judgment to help shape our journalism and get it in front of digital readers.
- Use appropriate social media platforms to distribute and highlight work
- Working across McClatchy newsrooms and departments on shared content and projects
- Skillfully use content management systems
Education and knowledge: College degree required. Minimum of two years’ experience editing and leading reporters in a daily newsroom. Extensive background in journalism, video and online media preferred.
- Excellent story-editing and story-development skills.
- Strong news judgment. Models journalistic values of accuracy, fairness, balance and objectivity.
- A sense of urgency and a calm demeanor.
- Exceptionally fast and extremely accurate.
- Excellent copy-editing skills.
- Strict ethics and dedication to high-quality journalism.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Keen instincts in pursuing stories that will resonate with readers.
- Solid understanding of SEO, social media and other audience growth tools.
- Experience using audience analytics to guide reporting and publishing decisions.
- Patience and experience in working with staffers at all skill levels, from interns to veteran reporters.
- An understanding of police agencies and the court system.
- A collaborative personality and a track record of working well with newsroom editors and news partners.
- Experience working with content management systems, databases and other tools.
- Ability to coach writers and other editors.
- Resourceful, able to anticipate needs and bring new ideas to the newsroom.
- Ability to understand and use readership data to inform our editorial process.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and a quick study in learning new skills and technologies.
- Skill and versatility as an editor, including the ability to shape everything we create – breaking news briefs, enterprise take-outs, long-form magazine-style pieces, video, graphics – in a way that best serves and engages the broadest possible audience.