Position Title: News Editor / Copywriter / Page Designer
Department: GRF Communication
Reports To: Communication Director / Managing Editor
Hourly / Full-time / Rage: $20-23
This position requires strong writing skills, deep In-Design knowledge along with graphic design experience for print, strong attention to detail, and the ability to visualize the final product during the design process. We're a match if you have at least 2 years of newspaper or magazine experience, understand all ins and outs of print design, and have a strong editorial portfolio. Good knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and AP style is a must. You enjoy working as part of a collaborative, creative team and have great people and customer service skills, even under deadline pressure.
- Prepare, rewrite, and edit copy and submissions of news articles and notices for LW Weekly Newspaper and other GFR publications.
- Read, evaluate, and edit copy and other materials submitted for publication and confer with contributors regarding significant changes in content, style, organization, or publication dates.
- Proofread copy for errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
Cover assigned newsworthy events, take photographs.
- Develop story or content ideas, specially designed for Leisure World’s retirement community.
- Calculate weekly space allocations for specific news sections, which include copy, photos, graphics; layout 4-8 pages a week according to the rules of newspaper design.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis on developing news stories.
- Arrange for copyright permissions.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Journalism, English, Communications, art or graphic design is preferred; or related work experience.
- Strong spelling and grammar skills are a must along with knowledge of AP style.
- Excellent grammar, impeccable spelling, and knowledge of the English language are required.
- Strong proofreading (correcting errors in spelling, grammar, syntax, punctuation, and formatting) and editing, especially rewrite, skills.
- Engaging headline writing a plus.
- Minimum 2 years of professional copy editing, publication design, and layout experience in a publishing environment.
- Successful candidates thrive in a creative, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- The work schedule is 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. with occasional weekend hours and some holidays.
- Expert proficiency with the preparation of graphic materials using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Exceptional working knowledge of InDesign, page layout experience is a must.
- Working knowledge of Illustrator and Photoshop, Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint or Keynote.
- Proficient with Mac OS system
- Knowledge of photographic techniques and equipment.
- Strong typing skills including speed and accuracy.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.