Vox Media is the leading independent modern media company. Known for building the best media brands and the technology that enables them, we are committed to building a better future for the industry — and getting the future of media right. Vox Media’s editorial networks include Vox, The Verge, SB Nation, Eater, Polygon, Recode, and Curbed. Our diverse storytelling and advertising businesses include the Concert publisher-led marketplace, the Vox Creative brand studio, the Chorus publishing platform, and the company’s entertainment division Vox Media Studios, which includes the Vox Media Podcast Network and Epic.
News is the beating heart ofThe Verge, and we’re looking for a talented News Writer to join our team. As a News Writer, you’ll sit at the center of our editorial operation, keeping our savvy audience informed and delighted. You’ll learn how to write great headlines, find the sharpest angles on stories, and write killer copy.
You should have a fierce passion for consumer tech and feel the need to know what the future looks like before anyone else. Maybe you read the Android forums for fun, tinker with your Raspberry Pi at home, or are giving it a shot as a creator on YouTube -- whatever it is, we’re looking for candidates who want to write about technology in part because they care about it personally.
News Writers atThe Vergeare responsible on a daily basis for writing multiple stories a day, vetting news rigorously, finding news, and working against the clock to beat everyone to the story. Ideal candidates will come with news writing experience -- people who can write great headlines and ledes are highly desired.
What you'll do:
- Write and publish multiple news stories on a daily basis
- Come up with fresh, sharp angles on the day’s events and offer smart opinions that complement the straight news and offer new insights for readers
- Report news out as necessary, on tight deadlines, which includes making calls, asking tough questions, and pursuing a story aggressively
- Approach learning from your editors with openness and enthusiasm
What you'll bring:
- 1 years of journalism experience, particularly on fast-twitch breaking stories
- Prior experience as a News Writer is highly desired
- The ability to transform complex ideas into interesting and understandable stories, with an eye toward the audience’s interests and needs
- An ability to connect the dots — taking a technology or culture story from something abstract to something tangible
- A love for breaking news
- Passion forThe Verge’s core coverage areas of technology and science
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.