NICU Graduate RN Care Coordinator
Salaried Nursing Position (Home visits required)
Shift & Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Care Coordination Nurse is responsible for ensuring the provision of quality patient care in the appropriate setting through care coordination, case management, utilization management of inpatient admissions, and transitions of care to different levels of care. In collaboration with the attending practitioner, the family and other members of the health care team, coordinates the individualized plan of care and communicates the plan to appropriate stakeholders. The Care Coordination Nurse ensures that high quality care is provided as efficiently and cost effectively as possible. The nurse facilitates continuity of care by coordinating transition to post-discharge care.
The Care Coordination Nurse implements and supports the philosophy, mission, values, standards, policies and procedures of Nationwide Children's Hospital and the Patient Care Services Division.
1. The Care Coordinator Nurse performs case management core functions which include: A. screening and identification of patients B. establishment of an effective relationship with patient/family C. assessment of patient/family strengths and needs D. development of a family-centered plan of care around discharge planning E. procurement and coordination of services
2. Facilitates the patient/family's ability to assume responsibility for managing their own health care when appropriate by: A. promoting return of the patient/family to the highest level of wellness possible B. ensuring that the right services are delivered at the right site by the right provider at the right time for the right cost C. assisting in the acquisition or verification of financial/payer/insurance information when appropriate
3. Collaborates with the Utilization Review Specialist RN regarding medical necessity of inpatient admission, appropriate patient class and duration of hospitalization.
4. In collaboration with the practitioner, facilitates and coordinates quality patient care in a timely and cost-effective manner while promoting multidisciplinary collaboration between all members of the health care team. Collaborates with appropriate medical/nursing personnel to influence appropriate progression of care and timely, safe patient discharge.
5. Facilitates multi-disciplinary patient progression rounds. Focuses practitioner, nurse and other health care team members on progress toward discharge including needed tests and procedures, family education and family and patient readiness for discharge.
6. In collaboration with the team, identifies barriers to a timely, safe discharge and develops a plan to address. Monitors progress of the plan. Escalated discharge barriers that team cannot address to appropriate next level.
7. Works in collaboration with the patient, family and health care team to secure and coordinate services and equipment needed to manage the special health care needs of the patient post discharge.
8. Assures that the family has choice in the selection of home care vendors.
9. Maintains accurate documentation of all patient/family encounters and documents appropriately in the medical record and the case management system.
10. Provides information and resources to patient, family and post hospital providers that will help the patient maintain his/her optimal level of health post discharge.
11. Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development in their individualized discharge planning.
12. Analyzes clinical trends and data to identify patterns for continuous quality improvement studies and/or research development.
13. Maintains knowledge of current concepts, research needs and research strategies related to case management, utilization review and discharge planning.
14. Maintains knowledge of The Joint Commission, Medicare/ Medicaid and other regulatory standards and requirements.
15. Participates in the development of guidelines and clinical/social/financial outcome indicators for given population.
16. Identifies need for, plans, and/or provides continuing education regarding patient progression and effective skills and strategies to help patients and families achieve self- management.
17. Demonstrates accountability for identifying own learning needs and seeks sources of information.
18. Assists in educating others regarding the role of care coordination/ case management
19. Participates in ongoing education related to information technology requirements for the department. Demonstrates competency in PC and mainframe computer applications and software needed to perform job functions.
20. Provides after-hour services as assigned through on-call availability.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREDMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Current licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Ohio required.
2. Five years of nursing experience - BSN required
At least one year in pediatric nursing is highly preferred. Nursing experience may include inpatient nursing, case management, utilization review, discharge planning, community health nursing. Utilization review, and/or discharge planning experience desirable.
3. Pediatric certification, Advanced-Continuity of Care Certification (A-CCC), or other Case Management certification desirable.
1. Possesses excellent written and spoken communication skills.
2. Has the ability to communicate with health care professionals. Demonstrates diplomacy, tact and a professional demeanor
3. Working knowledge of CMS and other review agency standards.
4. Song organizational and interpersonal skills.
5. Demonstrates ability to effectively collaborate and delegate tasks.
6. Possesses ability to relate to diverse age and demographic backgrounds.
7. Computer literate and working knowledge of software applications (word, excel).
8. Professionally appropriate analytical and organizational skills required.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must be able to see, hear, speak, read, and perform manual tasks with or without accommodation and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Requisition ID: 2020-24277
External Company URL: https://external-nationwidechildrens.icims.com/jobs/intro
Street: 525 E. Mound Street