The purpose of the Night Float/Shuttle Bus Driver is to provide University shuttle and transportation services, assist with transporting University vehicles to repair shops, and support Transportation Office with other daily needs such as light maintenance, cleaning vehicles and filing paperwork.
This Float Driver position will only work during the Fall, Spring and Summer terms each year, which is approximately 40 weeks per year, working an average of 20 hours per week. This position will not work during academic semester breaks.
Who We Are:
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 10,500 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students.
Colorado Springs (pop. 400K) is situated at the base of Pikes Peak, offers many recreational and cultural activities and was recently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top Best Places to Live in the U.S.
- Provide safe, dependable transportation on and around the campus area.
- Assist with light maintenance of vehicles, refueling vehicles, cleaning vehicles and performance of vehicle safety inspections.
- Be available to drive for other drivers that have called in sick or is otherwise unable to work their regular shift.
- Drive charters for athletic teams, school organizations and others as required.
- Safely assist loading, unloading and securing of disabled passengers in a professional manner
- Training campus community to drive motor pool vans.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections with a high degree of accuracy and safety.
- Fuel and DEF buses when required.
- Maintain proper passenger counts and related paperwork.
- Use good judgment when need arises to alter assigned routes due to traffic conditions.
- Be prepared to work any time of day or night, to include weekends.
- Assist with light office duties such as data entry, filing paperwork, and making copies.
- Assist with cleaning of vehicles.
- Other assigned duties as needed.
- Be able to safely operate 40 foot buses.
- Drive in a legal and safe manner at all times.
- Provide minor vehicle maintenance such as replacing tail lamps and headlights.
- Office duties such as filing paperwork or computer data entry
This position has been determined to be eligible for overtime (non-exempt) under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
What We Offer:
University of Colorado Colorado Springs offers a comprehensive benefits package for regular staff members working 20 hours or more. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at: http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Hourly Pay Range: Generally starting at $12.61- $18.01
Tentative Search Timeline:
- The potential dates for interviews with the search committee will be the week of November 2, 2020.
- The potential employee start date is November 16, 2020.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
UCCS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the established essential functions and meet the physical and environment demands described satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, physical and environmental conditions required of the employee on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, physical and environmental demands.
Applicants with disabilities: If you have a mental or physical impairment, which limits one of your major life activities (e.g. walking, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, or learning) and require special accommodations for testing or interviewing, it is your responsibility to notify the office scheduling the interview or test at least 3 working days before the interview or test date. If you need special accommodations at the work site, you must notify the appointing authority or Human Resources.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
- Maintain a Colorado CDL- Class B or higher, DOT physical card and passenger endorsement with airbrakes
- Must maintain a valid DOT physical card at all times.
- Routinely pass random drug and alcohol screening tests
- Two years driving experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. Employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and hearing within normal range. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.