At TT Electronics, you will meet dedicated people who believe that advanced electronics is the key to a brighter, smarter future. Whether it’s advanced flight controls, smart surgical tools, intelligent vehicle charging or seamless automation everywhere, advancements like this come from the minds of passionate, creative people – working to a common goal, watching out for each other, and caring about making a difference in the lives of people all over the world.
Our passion? Simplifying the development of complex electronics… it’s the reason we exist as an organisation. Our way of life? Fostering a culture that values individuals as well as community and teamwork.
Join us – and work with a team that believes success is measured by more than the bottom line, where you’ll find opportunities to achieve your goals, contribute to the lives of others, and build a brighter, smarter future, together.
Primary Job Purpose:
To act as in-house legal adviser to TT Electronics’ operations across the North America region and as a key contributor to the central TT Electronics’ Legal team located in the UK.
The role will have a strong focus on expanding TT Electronics’ capabilities in the US Defense sector, to include contract review, negotiation and management (including FARs/DFARs; flow-downs etc); compliance with export control restrictions (eg ITAR, EAR, sanctions etc), data privacy and other restrictions on the transfer of products and technology both within and outside the US.
Requirements of the Role (Key Result Areas, Areas of Focus, Responsibility and Accountability):
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- To act as in-house advisor to TT Electronics’ operations in North America, covering a range of legal/contractual issues including:
- Contract review, negotiation and management covering a wide range of activities, including customer contracts; supplier contracts; consultancy agreements; distribution agreements and a range of US Government flow-down arrangements
- Ensuring compliance with export control restrictions (g. ITAR, EAR, sanctions etc), through assisting the business to understand, implement and maintain compliance procedures together with responding to day to day queries.
- Involvement in M&A projects (in conjunction with the central Legal team), covering areas such as due diligence and deal execution
- Litigation management (including employee matters, in collaboration with the North American HR team, as required)
- Ensuring compliance with key regulatory requirements as they apply to TT Electronics’ North American operations, including data privacy and certain HR matters
- Facilitating the application of good corporate governance across TT Electronics’ North American operations, in compliance with “the TT Way” and the Group’s global policy standards
- Involvement in managing intellectual property issues (including claims) that may arise in the North America region, covering both registered and unregistered IP
- Supporting the Company Secretarial function in administering TT Electronics’ legal entities across the North American region
- To play a key role in working with the business teams to expand TT Electronics’ capabilities in the US Defense sector. These activities will include:
- Dealing with all aspects of US Government contracting, across all relevant agencies, including FARs/DFARs and flow-down arrangements
- Being a key participant in the development and enforcement of all areas of policy in this area, including export controls, data privacy and document retention
- Ensuring that relevant processes are in place (eg visitor access, overseas workers, denied party screening etc) and are effectively enforced, with proper records maintained
- Assisting the business units in liaising with US Government agencies (eg DDTC) in securing and maintaining all applicable licences and permits to export and operate
- Working closely with the business units on key areas of export control management, including internal/external audits, end use declarations, information transfer, segregation of data, product classification (eg ITAR, EAR etc), site access controls and country-specific embargoes
- To be a key contributor to any FOCI mitigation structure(s) required to meet the future needs of the TT Electronics’ North American business (eg Special Security Arrangements on Classified Programmes)
- To liaise with external US counsel, as required, to progress the legal requirements of the North American business on a cost-efficient basis
- To act as a “sounding board” to the TT Electronics’ business teams on a range of legal, regulatory, compliance and wider business issues. This will involve anticipating changes in law, regulation and legal practice, providing advice on evolving areas of “best practice” and supporting TT Electronics’ risk management initiatives
- To provide training and mentoring to employees across the TT Electronics’ North American business, with a particular focus on US Defense contracting and policy, and implementing internal/external audit programmes where required
- To work closely with the central Legal team in the UK to ensure good communication on key projects/legal risk in a “no surprises” environmentesult Areas, Areas of Focus, Responsibility and Ac
Candidates will be evaluated based on their ability to demonstrate a proven track record of proficiency on the following competencies:
- A strong track record (including private practice and in-house) of acting as legal adviser to a multinational manufacturing company, providing commercially focused legal advice
- A working knowledge (as a minimum) in each of the areas of technical expertise set out in the “Requirement of the Role” section, with a strong emphasis on US Defense and Government contracting
- An ability to interpret organisational strategy and goals, and then help define and shape the growth strategy of the business for the future
- An ability to cultivate and build collaborative working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, with excellent communication skills
- A well-developed understanding of and appreciation for business needs and the regulatory context in which the business operates
- A well-developed understanding of and appreciation for TT’s mission, values, and goals and consistent application of this knowledge
- Strong decision-making capabilities, with a clear focus on effective risk management
- An ability to effectively influence others to modify their opinions, plans, or behaviours to ensure we act according to the TT Way
- An ability to communicate complex and technical legal issues to diverse audiences, orally and in writing, in an easily understood, authoritative and actionable manner
Requirements of the Person (Position Qualifications, Education and/or Skills and Experience) -- CORE:
- 8+ years of professional experience as a US qualified attorney
- In-depth knowledge of ITAR, FARs/DFAR and the wider regulatory regime pertaining to the US Defense sector