NP or PA, Inpatient Oncology Lunder 103124004
Exciting opportunity for a AdvancedPractice Provider (APP, NP or PA)to work in a stimulating and cutting edge environment. The Inpatient Oncology APPprovides direct care to the inpatient hematologic malignancy populationincluding bone marrow transplant, chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) and solidtumor oncology population on a medical oncology advanced practice service andwill also work in collaboration with the attending physician, interdisciplinaryteams and disease center team to facilitate the care of oncology patients onthe general medical service. Within this role, the APP will work on theoncology unit and be the responding clinician and be responsible for the careof the patients. Other responsibilities include caring for patients throughouttheir hospitalization and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams. While delivering continuity of care, includingcommunication and coordination between inpatient and outpatient teams. The APPwill work collaboratively with the inpatient team, attending physician, casemanagement, staff nurses and primary outpatient oncology team, in order tocoordinate daily plan and discharge plan.
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEWSTATEMENT:
Develops, implements and evaluates aprogram of specialized health care for a select patient population. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff andprofessional nurses toward continuity of patient care and efficient use ofresources. Serves as a role model for professional advanced practice.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides direct care to aselect patient population in collaboration with the physician.
- Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
- Utilizes advanced knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
- Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care including admitting and discharging.
- Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population including bone marrow biopsies, lumbar puncture and other mutually agreed upon procedures with collaborating physician.
- Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources and write appropriate orders.
- Maintains and practices in accord with provider guidelines per state and hospital regulations
- Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians and serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
- Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
- Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
- Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
- Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
- Supports and conducts research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote evidence-based practice.
- Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
- Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
- Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
- Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
- Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces within patient care services and the hospital.
- Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing (MSN) or completion of NCCPA program
- Current certification as a nurse practitioner (adult acute care preferred) or physician’s assistant in appropriate specialty to care for adult acute patients.
- Prior Hematology/Oncology experience preferred and/or inpatient experience with hospital medicine and/or medical intensive care for minimum of two years (roles can be as RN, NP or PA).
- Demonstrated competence in specialized area.
- Inpatient hospital setting
- Shifts are 13hrs covering days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.MGH Main Campus02114Nursing-Other