Become part of a dynamic industry that is building for the future! Framatome is looking for a motivated materials engineer with a great attitude and passion for problem solving. The selected candidate will be a member of a high performance team of dedicated engineers who work together to provide innovative solutions to maximize the operations of the existing fleet of nuclear power plants.
Install Base Products & Engineering is focused on the delivery of high quality engineered products to support the installed base and new plant designs for commercial nuclear reactors in the U.S. and some overseas customers. The Materials & Fluence Analysis team in Lynchburg, VA is part of the Reactors and Services Division-Installed Base Products & Engineering, NSSS Engineering Department and is responsible for corrosion evaluations, aging management, material selection, failure analysis, and Fluence and Radiological analyses. Some examples of current projects are support of reactor vessel head repairs (Alloy 600), materials selections for replacement heavy components, reactor vessel integrity, reactor vessel internals, fluence analysis for 80 years of the reactor vessel and internals to support subsequent license renewal. Extensive work is performed for the PWR Owners Group and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI). The successful candidate will have immediate opportunities to be challenged and perform meaningful work.
- Materials selection and procurement specification preparation and review for replacement components and new plants
- Reactor vessel integrity and internals evaluations
- Component failure analyses evaluations
- Development and participation in materials aging assessment programs for existing BWRs and PWRs in support of individual utilities, the PWR Owners Group, and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
- Planning and conducting assignments that are complex and require development of new methods, particularly in the area of Subsequent License Renewal (plant life extensions to 80 years of operation)
- Writing proposals, executing quality work, and interacting with customers
- Practice engineering work with high regards to safety, technical content, on-time schedule performance, and quality
- Actively participate in the materials community in the domestic commercial nuclear power business by participating in one or more of the following organizations: ASME Code, ASTM, EPRI MRP, PWR Owners Group
Actively represent Framatome in the industry by leading and influencing projects and technical subjects for the benefit of Framatome and/or its clients, and by identifying and pursuing potential business activities for the Materials Analysis group and Framatome engineering as a Framatome representative in these industry forums
Education & Experiences
- BS in Materials Science / Metallurgy / Metallurgical Engineering / or equivalent experience plus 0-5 years of materials engineering experience. An advanced engineering degree may be substituted for related work experience (MBA 1-2yrs., MS 1-2 yrs. or PhD 1-3 yrs.). A BS in Materials Engineering is not needed if the candidate has an MS in Materials Engineering.
- Applicant will demonstrate awareness in the materials (and their degradation mechanisms) used to construct LWRs in the U.S. commercial nuclear power industry.
- Experience with and/or awareness of austenitic stainless steels, nickel-base alloys, and low alloy steels used in nuclear power plants.
- Experience conducting/interpreting laboratory materials testing.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, interact with engineers from other disciplines, and resolve time critical field situations (e.g. component modification/installation challenges).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including technical writing.
- A pro-active approach to problem identification and resolution.
Skills and Knowledge
- ASME Section II and Section III NB-2000 Materials Engineering experience/knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills are necessary for the ability to work effectively in both a team and independent environment.
- Ability to set priorities and goals and work effectively to meet them.
- Time management and the ability to prioritize and multi-task are essential.
- Ability to interact and function in an international company, specifically interactions with French and German cultures.
- Strong ability to solve complex problems using engineering judgement.
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Location Lynchburg, Virginia, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular