Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
This is the intermediate level of the Engineering classification hierarchy. Employees at this level solve more complex problems in engineering areas of specialization with general supervision. Incumbents are expected to develop advanced skills and the ability to work with greater independence. They effectively apply fundamental concepts and procedures to work that is fairly complex and varied.
The candidate will support the Catawba Nuclear Station which is within the Duke Energy Nuclear Fleet. The station is located in York, South Carolina. The Catawba Electrical Design team manages the development, design, and implementation of engineering changes to Catawba Nuclear Station. The individual will be responsible for developing the scope, technical basis, installation and testing requirements for engineering changes installed in the plant. Ongoing support of assigned engineering changes through work order reviews, corrective action program assignments, and field installation support activities is required.
The incumbent will work at the site, within the stations technical team and provide direct support to plant operations and maintenance, primarily in the form of design changes, engineering calculations, and technical recommendations for capital improvement of the plant electrical systems.
Design Changes would include: AC power systems, DC power systems, Large AC motors, Transformers, Switchgear, Motor Control Centers, Protective Relaying, and Voltage Regulators.
· Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of well-defined problems in area of expertise.
· Contributes to team decision-making in the accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities; deals with changing priorities and differing situations and makes decision that may affect the work of the team.
· Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to well-defined problems and analysis of moderate scope and complexity.
· Conducts engineering and related studies; projects and assignments are clearly defined with focus on development but must be able to complete routine engineering projects with minimal oversight; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with minimum impact on existing systems.
· Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures; demonstrates proficiency in technical competencies and has ability to interpret technical information and instructions.
· Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
· Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
BASIC / REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
· Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program. A Master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B. S. engineering degree.
· Minimum of 2 years of engineering experience.
· Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
· Passing grade on the Engineering Fundamentals Exam (FE).
· Understanding of basic engineering theories and principles
· Understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
· Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
· Good written and oral communication skills.
· Understanding of basic principles of project management
· Experience in the utility industry
· Department specific experience applicable to the hiring department
· Nuclear Unescorted access
· This position may be required to have Emergency Response Organization (ERO) responsibilities which could include callouts with a defined response time to the site and an on-call duty rotation requiring the employee to be Fit for Duty
· Occasional work during nights and weekends or extended workdays may be necessary to support nuclear regulatory compliance, unit outages, or emergent equipment issues callouts.
Typical Office environment with flexibility to support plant operations. Must be able to work in an industrial environment safely.
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)No
Visa Sponsored PositionNo
Posting Expiration Date
Monday, January 28, 2019
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.
We are one of the largest electric power holding companies in the United States, supplying and delivering electricity to approximately 7.4 million U.S. customers. We have approximately 52,700 megawatts of electric generating capacity in the Carolinas, the Midwest and Florida – and natural gas distribution services serving more than 1.5 million customers in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and the Carolinas. Our commercial and international businesses own and operate diverse power generation assets in North America and Latin America, including a portfolio of renewable energy assets.
Regardless of your skill set or specific interest, we're looking for the best and brightest talent in the industry. Our people make us great - and we're always looking for more. Find your career path today at Duke Energy, where it's more than a career - it's a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Duke Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the laws set forth in the Department of Labor EEO Poster and Supplement.