The Nurse Educator (Clinic Education) assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the patient centered diabetes education program at the Joslin Clinic.
In this key role, you will plan and conduct continuing education programs in diabetes for professionals and the general public. You will collaborate with other educators and providers in the areas of program development, implementation, marketing and review of clinical programs/services. Excellent opportunity to participate in the development of education curricula and materials by writing original material and/or reviewing the work of others.
This position's hours are Monday through Friday generally 8:30 am -5:00 pm but may be 9:30 am-6:00 pm or 11:00 am-7:00 pm as needed. (No weekends or holidays)
Program Development and Implementation:
- Works directly with clinic and center staff to develop and implement clinical/education programs that service patients, professionals and the general public. Participates in outcome research of education and clinical programs offered at the Center. Participates in the development of education curricula and materials by writing original material and/or reviewing the work of others.
- Participates in quality control/quality improvement activities within one’s scope of practice that promotes quality service.
Applies nursing process and education of patients and families, in a variety of settings, encouraging the team approach to diabetes management, according to standards:
- Evaluate and assess patient’s management and training needs, self care behaviors, obstacles to successful implementation of therapy in a variety of settings.
- Develop individualized education and management plans to include appropriate follow-up.
- Provide formal training on diabetes management and risk factor reduction.
- Provide management consultation in person and over the phone to patients/care - providers according to Joslin policy and procedures.
- Coordinate consultations and referrals and facilitate communication between patient and providers as needed.
Measure and documents through written tests and/or verbal demonstration, patients understanding of information taught.
Documents and processes medical records, billing and statistical records according to Joslin Policy and Procedures:
- Records patient encounters on appropriate forms,
- Marks appropriate charge on patient bill and processes according to procedures,
- Records statistics on all patient encounters.
Maintain professional growth and development:
- Maintains professional registration and certification. Stays up to date on current thought and research in diabetes, diabetes management and behavior change strategies ensuring that Joslin Education Services as well as one’s own professional services employs state-of-the-art care. Attend relevant conferences as staffing and budget allow.
- Contributes to Center goals for outreach and increased visibility by maintaining active involvement in professional organizations (such as contributing to newsletters and articles, delivering lectures, and contributing to development and implementation of work shops.)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing; Master’s degree a plus
- Certified Diabetes Educator strongly preferred (this is a requirement, so if you aren't currently a CDE, you must sit for exam within 6 months of eligibility)
- Ability to speak Spanish would be a plus.
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a nurse, preferably one year in community health or ambulatory care setting
- Experience in using diabetes technologies
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in diabetes care and education/counseling of patients with chronic disease
- Clinical experience should include promotion to positions requiring professional growth and responsibility
- Registered Nurse, Massachusetts License
- Excellent written and oral communication; Skills in public speaking (or potential to develop)
- Strong organization skills
- Flexibility to adapt to changes in daily routine; Self Directed
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
- Employee Events
- Employee Referral Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Gym Memberships
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Military Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Professional Development
- Subsidized Commuting
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off