Performs detailed maintenance, calibration and testing of all instrumentation and electrical equipment to ensure safe and efficient pipeline and/or processing operations consistent with Enable’s operations objectives. Provides detailed troubleshooting and programming modifications of control systems. Performs instrumentation and electrical work which involves repairing motors, starters, generators, and exciters. Tests and repairs switchboards and installs new cables, wiring and electrical fixtures. Inspects electrical equipment at frequent intervals. Calibrates, maintains and repairs analog and digital equipment data acquisition units, and pneumatic and hydraulic control and indicating devices. Analyzes performance of equipment, and participates in the automation of facilities. Inspects contract installed equipment.
Complex responsibilities related to primary focus of job area. Works under minimal guidance. Resolves most questions and problems. Refers only the most complex issues to higher levels. Fully understands principles of technical field. May adapt procedures, processes and techniques to meet more complex requirements of the position."
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides technical management for PLC projects. Provide direction and oversight to automation contractors as needed.
- Occasionally makes technical decisions concerning the maintenance and repair of critical electrical systems such as motors, cables, switch gear and Motor Control Centers that deviates from standard processes
- Assists in the technical management of new and existing assets as directed by supervisor.
- Directs activities of I&E contractors and vendors.
- Performs complex maintenance, configuration and calibration of process and safety instrumentation utilized in the gathering, processing, transmission and storage of hydrocarbons.
- Schedules and coordinates daily activities with peer operations personnel and is able to negotiate scheduling conflicts. Direct, plan and conduct assignments of a complex nature serving in a lead role.
- Provides detailed troubleshooting and programming modifications for programmable logic control and HMI systems.
- Performs required testing of various process instruments and safety systems such as ESD, fire detection and gas detection systems. Completes and published calibration and testing reports for documentation purposes.
- Performs other duties and directed by supervisor.
- Serves as a mentor and assists with training entry level technicians.
- Serves as a technical resource to operations personnel and lower technician positions.
- Provides complex AC/DC electrical system maintenance and troubleshooting for voltages up to 7200V.
- Routine verification and calibration of pressure and temperature transmitters.
May perform one or more multi-skilled operations, maintenance and installation duties in addition to the primary roles and responsibilities listed above. Responsibilities include but are not limited to measurement, electronics, dehydration, treating, corrosion, pipeline, compressor, and regulatory compliance functions with direct guidance.
Education & Experience
Associates Degree and 2 years directly related experience, or 5 years directly related experience.
Valid State Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced understanding of fundamental instrumentation and electrical concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance, testing, installation and repair of most types of instrumentation and electrical components.
- Effectively use a personal computer with MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel & Outlook).
- Advanced understanding of programmable logic controllers and Human Machine Interface equipment and the ability to make significant programming changes.
- Reads and interprets basic electrical and control drawings.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude in the use of hand tools.
- Works and participates successfully in a team based environment to accomplish assignments.
- Operate as a self-starter with individual drive and initiative to start, develops and completes projects and initiatives.
- Communicates effectively with field employees, management and public, both orally and in writing
- Able to exert in excess of 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 10 pounds of force regularly to move objects.
- May be required to lift fifty (50) pounds or more.
- Physical ability to work around and on industrial equipment, including frequent climbing, stooping, reaching, pulling, pushing, twisting, bending, kneeling, crawling and grasping.
- Must be able to move about unrestricted and follow safety and emergency response procedures and regulations.
- May be required to stand, sit and walk for reasonable periods of time.
- May be required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch for reasonable periods of time.
- Must be able to move about on foot and follow safety and emergency response procedures.
- Able to travel long distances in a motor vehicle.
- Able to work in areas with limited access or cramped spaces.
- On a routine basis, may climb ladders, walkways and scaffolds.
- May be required to wear arc rated apparel/PPE
- May be required to wear SCBA
- Works in potentially hazardous environments
- Works with or near hazardous chemicals
- Operates personal computer for extended periods.
- Works independently and completes scheduled work with minimal supervision.
- Requires frequent travel via truck (some overnight) to locations throughout the system to monitor equipment and perform work activities.
- Works outdoors in weather extremes and near equipment alongside potentially high noise levels.
- Carries a cell phone while on-call and respond to call-outs, potentially including weekends and holidays.
- Responds to emergency calls and/or call-outs and return to work while off duty.
- May work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Able to work overtime (scheduled and/or unscheduled, nights and/or weekends) occasionally, as needed or required to meet established deadlines.
- Based on business requirements, may be assigned to shiftwork
*Internal candidates may be considered who have specific transferable experience and skills with proven results in lieu of stated education and/or some years of experience.