Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
We are currently looking for an casual Occupational Therapist to join our Clinic and Specialty Center team. This role will fall under our outpatient hand therapy area. The ideal candidate will be a certified hand therapist (CHT).The schedule will consist of 2 weekdays consistently with possibility of additional weekdays.
In collaboration with an interdisciplinary team, provides therapeutic services including evaluation, treatment, and education. Monitors the treatment activities of COTA’s and aides
- Performs and documents comprehensive occupational therapy evaluations
- Develops and documents patient care plans to promote optimal function and safety
- Observes, evaluates and documents patient’s progress
- Participates in hospital rounds and patient care conferences
- Educations patients and care givers on therapeutic techniques, cares and treatments
- Completes all documentation and charges of services per department or program standards
- Functions as clinical instructor for occupational therapy students
- Directs and supervises activities performed by the OT aide consistent with their training and skill (patient transfers, patient transport, preparation of patient and equipment for treatment, selected treatment procedures, clerical duties and departmental maintenance)
- Properly applies and operates rehabilitative equipment
- Assists with developing and conducting occupational therapy in-services
- Orients and mentors newly assigned staff
- Graduation from an occupational therapy curriculum accredited by the American Medical Association
- Previous clinical experience/rehabilitation experience
- CPR certification
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies/procedures and practice standards; occupational therapy theory, techniques, and treatment, physical therapy and orthopedic equipment; counseling and educational techniques; bandaging and wrapping techniques
- In mental health departments: includes group dynamics, group facilitation, psychopathology, personality development, counseling and educational techniques, communication and social skills, sensory integration, stress management and health maintenance, activity analysis
- OR in mental health including group dynamics, group facilitation, psychopathology, personality development, counseling and educational techniques, communication and social skills, sensory integration, stress management and health maintenance, activity analysis
- Ability to perform professional occupational therapy techniques and treatment; calibrate and operate occupational therapy equipment
- Ability to provide work direction for ancillary personnel
- Ability to counsel and instruct patients and families; ability to recognize and document patient progress
- Ability to work cooperatively with other members of the medical team
- Ability to interact with individuals of widely diverse lifestyles including ability to deal objectively with individuals whose attitudes and behaviors differ from his/her own
- Ability to read and interpret written instructions, patient charts, and physicians' notes
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures in an advisory capacity (educate)
- Certified or eligible for the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) certification examination for Occupational Therapist, Registered. As a condition of employment, employees hired on an "or eligible" status must take and pass the first available examination (within three consecutive administrations of the exam) within the 12-month period following his/her date of hire
- Proof of Minnesota Board of Occupational Therapy Practitioner License or temporary license
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.