Brookdale Home Health is seeking a PRN COTA throughout the Napa and Fairfiled areas.
Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Under the direction of the Occupational Therapists, provides rehabilitative services to patients with mental, physical, emotional, or developmental impairments to improve quality of life and ability to perform daily activities. Assists patients with rehabilitative activities and exercises outlined in a treatment plan developed in collaboration with an occupational therapist.
- Under the direction of the registered and/or licensed occupational therapist, optimizes the physical abilities and skills of patients by assisting in the performance of the following activities: assisting in the screening of patients; implementing treatment for assigned patients; delivering treatment to achieve identified objectives according to the established treatment plan; appropriately documenting progress toward identified objectives and communicating patient status and needs to the patient, the patient’s family, the staff and other professionals as appropriate.
- Assists in the selection of Occupational Therapy techniques/media and in the sequence of activities, adapts techniques/media as indicated by patient performance and following consultation with the Occupational Therapist.
- Assists in establishing and modifying individual patient schedules in conjunction with the Occupational Therapist and other team members.
- Assists the Occupational Therapist in identifying a problem list, long-term goals, short-term goals and a treatment plan. Monitors patient’s response to intervention and consults with Occupational Therapist if modification is indicated. Adapts treatment under the supervision of an Occupational Therapist to meet the individual needs of the patient.
- Adheres to department and patient schedules and modifies as appropriate for treatment regime.
- Provides/recommends/fabricates adaptive devices, orthotics or prosthetics. Trains patient, family and appropriate staff in the use or application of the devices, orthotics or prosthetics.
- Participates in patient, family and staff education. Attend in-service training and facility meetings as required. Provides in-service education to the members of the patient care team and to members of the community. Assumes responsibility for ongoing continuing education and professional development.
- Confers formally and informally with other team members in coordinating the total rehabilitation program of the patient.
- Adheres to Brookdale Healthcare Services policies and procedures regarding documentation of occupational therapy services.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree or certificate program from a community or vocational/technical college.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Completed certificate program (Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant).
Uses limited independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of a skill or discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the work environment and process. Has working knowledge of the organization. Basic computer software skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to work holidays and weekends as operation demands. Ability to maintain the highest standards of ethical professional and clinical judgment. Ability to address staff and patients in a courteous and friendly manner as well as accept constructive criticism. Must be willing to communicate with patients of various levels of functioning and various types of personalities. Willingness to communicate perceived physical and emotional needs of patients to other skilled staff to assist with addressing their care needs.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Ability to lift: up to 50 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Schedule: Regular Part-Time