POSITION SUMMARY: Assist the public in the matchmaking process of animals in the care of AHS. Represent AHS at PetSmart adoption locations and off-site special events. Primary driver of the AHS mobile adoption vehicles. Coordinate with other departments to ensure the smooth, efficient, and successful running of AHS off-site adoption events. Work strategically with the Retail & Adoptions Supervisor and other departments to determine effective use of mobile adoption vehicle and other AHS resources. Monitor and analyze PetSmart adoption and off-site adoption event results and report results to management on a regular basis. Perform all functions necessary for a successful retail operation, including, but not limited to: handling all monies, being knowledgeable about all products and promotions and providing an excellent customer experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide adoption services and counseling to prospective adopters; complete data entry and file all required paperwork.
- Perform cashier duties; take payment, count money and balance reconciliation form.
- Keep necessary forms and supplies adequately stocked.
- Maintain cleanliness of PetSmart adoption areas and mobile adoption vehicle.
- Answer inquiries, respond to questions from the public.
- Provide direction, feedback, and counseling to volunteers and foster good relations with volunteers.
- Safely and humanely transport animals to and from PetSmart adoption center and off-site adoption events, load and unload animals.
- Uphold AHS's Standards of Care for all animals at PetSmart adoption center and off-site adoption events.
- Walk and groom as needed; monitor health and report any illness to the Retail & Adoptions Supervisor.
- Make adoption follow up calls weekly as assigned.
- Update animal kennel cards daily.
- Monitor and document animal behavior for signs of kennel stress and illness.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Six months to one year prior work experience preferred.
- Must be able to handle animals safely and humanely in all conditions.
- Must have excellent communication skills and ability to complete paperwork accurately and legibly.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds to accommodate our larger animals.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Understanding of retail and cash handling operations required.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Driver's License and acceptable driving record.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance is required. Access to reliable transportation. Must be able to handle animals safely and humanely in all conditions. Must have great customer service. Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.