Position Class Code/Title: A0027 / Office Assistant
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The Department of Dental Medicine is seeking a dedicated individual who is committed to providing good customer service working as an Office Assistant in our Call Center . This person will be responsible for answering telephone calls on a multi-line telephone, scheduling patient dental appointments, directing calls, answering questions, and taking messages for our 10 dental residents, 6 faculty providers, and numerous staff. Other duties may include working at the front desk, greeting visitors, checking in and out patients, perform routine clerical, data entry and/or word processing duties, and working on special projects.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified .
Performs a range of basic office support activities for a unit/department, such as answering phones and directing calls, greeting and directing visitors, answering questions and performing routine clerical, data entry, and/or word processing work as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answers telephones, routes calls, takes messages, and provides general information; greets and directs visitors; answers routine inquiries; maintains log of inquiries as required.
- Opens and routes incoming mail; distributes correspondence and other material to department staff/faculty.
- Performs a variety of routine typing assignments as appropriate to the position; may operate a personal computer to draft basic correspondence, enter data, and print letters, labels, reports, and/or other materials; types and mails form letters.
- Copies and/or duplicates materials as requested; may oversee day-to-day operation of copy machine; may prepare and transmit facsimiles for the unit.
- Establishes, maintains, processes, and/or updates files, records, and/or other documents.
- May perform specialized services of a routine clerical/administrative nature in strict accordance with established procedural guidelines, as appropriate to the position.
- May schedule or assist in scheduling appointments, meetings, and/or conferences, as appropriate to the position.
- May order, stock, and distribute office supplies.
- May run various routine errands, as required, for the unit/department.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
High school diploma or GED; no previous work experience required. Verification of education and licensure will be required if selected for hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Ability to prepare and print routine correspondence, labels, and/or other basic written material.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Receptionist skills.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Word processing and/or data entry skills.
- Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.