- Position Overview
The Office Assistant Specialized is responsible for providing specialized support to attorneys, paralegals and legal support specialists within the Division.
- Position Qualifications
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or GED and two (2) years specialized clerical experience in a law office, judicial, court or law enforcement environment.
NOTE: The Maricopa County Attorney's Office requires a thorough background check of all successful candidates and is authorized to test prospective employees for the presence of illegally accessed drugs. Testing is conducted once an offer has been extended and prior to placement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic office procedures and operations.
- Use of office equipment such as phone, fax, copy machine.
- Basic computer use.
- Exercise independent judgment within established guidelines, and departmental policies and procedures Prepare word processing documents and spreadsheets.
- Interact effectively with attorneys, elected officials, clients, professionals and staff.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
Office setting which may require extended periods of sitting to perform tasks. May be required to drive personal or county owned vehicle to travel to and from various county locations. Ability to move up to 20 pounds floor to waist and pushing/pulling up to 20 pounds a distance of up to 100 feet.
Maricopa County is an EEO/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
- Essential Job Tasks
- Provides specialized clerical support to the attorneys, paralegals, legal support specialists and project group leader to assist in the processing of civil litigation matters.
- Serves in receptionist capacity by answering multi-line telephone, responding to general information questions, directing or screening calls, and taking accurate messages.
- Receives, greets and checks ID for all incoming visitors, employees and police officers.
- Gathers case files for attorneys/staff, sorts, distributes, and dockets electronic and hard copy pleadings, minute entries, and mail.
- Prepares and processes specialized paperwork as directed.
- Utilizes computer to look up and retrieve case information from various databases
- Organizes case files for close-out; enter case disposition and close-out information into the County Attorney's Office case management system.
- Utilizes computer to enter and/or retrieve data into tracking database designed for the office, assigned bureau or division.
- Assists with special projects; and retrieves/returns closed files to long term storage area.
- Responsible for document delivery runs between divisions within the office and hand deliveries to Judges and Superior or District Court filing counters as needed.
- Some positions may require use of skills to provide English/Spanish translation.
- Selection Procedure
The Maricopa County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates considered to be the most highly qualified. Those selected will be assessed based on evaluation of listed education and experience. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a list provided by Human Resources.
All offers of employment made to new hires and rehires at Maricopa County are contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer, pre-employment thorough background investigation. A background investigation is conducted on a current employee who changes to a Safety Sensitive Position or one having the potential for serious adverse impact on the integrity or efficiency of the County. These requirements do not pertain to employees of elected officials who undergo background investigation processes administered through their respective offices.
Typically, successful candidates are hired at a salary rate up to midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience, internal equity and budgetary allowances.
Overall Job Objective