This is not your typical office and operations role – this is a unique opportunity for an entry-level candidate to gain valuable work experience within a rising non-profit start-up and do work that really matters.
WattTime is an environmental nonprofit with a twist: we developed the groundbreaking technology known as Automated Emissions Reduction (AER). AER drives revenue by enabling businesses across the world to voluntarily slash emissions. While so many nonprofits spend lots of time working within resource constraints on a vision with no near term finish line, we have a rapidly scaling technology, the support of over 300 volunteers, and donors motivated by the impacts we’re currently having and where we’re going. In other words, reaching our vision of “AER for everyone everywhere” is very much possible in the next five years. That’s pretty exciting. And it’s a lot of hard work too.
Have you had to hustle to get to where you are? Do you feel like you’re only getting started in the big, positive impacts you can have on the world? Do you say yes to the boring stuff as often as the challenging stuff because you know it’s worth doing what it takes? Do you agree with the idea that saving the world sometimes takes a little sweat and struggle?
If your answer is not just yeah, but YES!!!!!, then come work with us! We are so excited to meet you.
ABOUT THE WORK
- Fundraising: Grant research and tracking (note: this is our team’s biggest need for at least the next six months)
- Finance: Invoicing, collections, bank reconciliations, record keeping
- Human Resources: New hire onboarding to team collaboration tools, filing eligibility
- Business development: Sales pipeline research and communication
Office Management (25%)
- Office space leases, supplies, incoming mail and deliveries
- Purchases for office equipment as the needs of the team change and as we grow
- Team meeting and conference room technology so that remote team members feel included and connected
- Full time role reporting to the Deputy Director.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- WattTime headquarters sit in Oakland, CA with many team members working remotely. Remote location possible, though Bay Area preferred
- Salary $50,000 - $70,000, dependent on location and experience
- Submit a resume and cover letter that explains 1) your motivation for WattTime’s mission 2) the skills and experience that make you a fit for this role
- Application deadline: Rolling process until we find the right fit (previously December 12, 2019)
Experience comes in many forms. Whatever the context was, we would love to see that you have experience in the following areas. Non-traditional experience welcomed! Have you:
- Navigated an ambiguous or constantly changing environment
- Juggled multiple projects at once, prioritized them and seen them to completion
- Anticipated and solved problems proactively
- Collaborated with a variety of work and communication styles
- Reflected on how what you’re doing drives the changes you want to see in the world
Skills can be gained in many different contexts. In one way or another, you have developed and deployed these skills:
- Attention to detail: you don’t drop balls, you read the fine print
- High level of organization: you have a process for budgeting your time well, tracking outstanding projects, systems for filing information and documents
- Resourcefulness: you’re equally comfortable coming up with ways to make it work as you are asking for what you need
- Growth mindset: if you don’t know the answer now, you’re excited to learn
- Data savvy: you know your way around an excel spreadsheet and leverage data when making decisions
- Impact driven: you do the boring work with as much attention and vigor as the fun stuff
- Excellent listener and communicator: you ask questions, you seek out new information, you articulate complex points clearly and concisely both verbally and written
Most importantly: you genuinely care about and are deeply motivated by making the world a better place.
WORKING AT WATTTIME
We are practical, results-driven change makers. We believe nothing has more potential for fast, world-changing impact, than software. We embrace change. We are lean and rapid prototypers. We never confuse growth with impact. We are all personally, fiercely committed to our mission. We are quietly radical in unexpected ways. We have allies, not competitors. We trust in data and everyone’s voice being heard. We know diversity is central to success. We consider respect non-negotiable: there are no jerks here.
We offer competitive benefits and professional development opportunities.
Unlike most startups, our team is backed by more than 300 volunteers who contributed to our founding and are happy to support us in terms of advice, networking and perspective. We also sit within the RMI family which brings additional upside in terms of robust benefits, support, industry connections and credibility.
WattTime is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, or sexual orientation or classification.
WattTime is a nonprofit with a software tech startup DNA, dedicated to giving everyone everywhere the power to choose clean energy. We invented Automated Emissions Reduction (AER), which allows utilities, IoT device and energy storage companies, and any end user to effortlessly reduce emissions from energy, when and where they happen. Our cutting-edge insights and algorithms, coupled with machine learning, can shift the timing of flexible electricity use to sync with times of cleaner energy and avoid times of dirtier energy. We sell solutions that make it easy for anyone to achieve emissions reductions without compromising cost and user experience. WattTime was founded by PhD researchers from the University of California, Berkeley, and in 2017 became a subsidiary of Rocky Mountain Institute.