A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You’ll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is a Center of Excellence. As a NCI comprehensive cancer center there is a strong focus on research with the overall mission to prevent and cure cancer. Patients at The University of Arizona Cancer Center are treated in one or more of psychologists, nurses, nutritionists, social workers, genetic counselors and more, who are experts in their specialties. This multidisciplinary approach means our patients get the best treatment possible: treatment tailored to them. On the forefront of prevention, treatment and research, our oncology services work tirelessly for our patients dealing with all types of cancer. From detection and diagnosis to treatment and bedside care, we work to make our patients’ lives better, empowering them to become cancer survivors.
The Ambulatory Hematology/Oncology Clinical Specialist will be working alongside our team of clinical oncology specialists in the outpatient setting supporting direct patient care for medical oncology patients. The clinical specialist will be responsible for the management of adult oncology patients including: review of chemotherapy orders, patient education and compliance to oral therapies, optimal drug management and adherence, clinical trial protocols and formulary management. This position will also entail integration of research management of chemotherapy orders including patient counseling and review of clinical study enrollment, review of research protocols and oversight with research medications alongside our investigational drug service pharmacy staff.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
About Banner - University Medical Center Tucson
Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located on the campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is Southern Arizona's only Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet ™ designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program. For more information about Tucson, please visit: VisitTucson.org
About Banner Health
Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
This position provides pharmaceutical care to patients, serves as a resource and drug information specialist to medical, pharmacy, nursing staff and allied healthcare providers. Conducts educational activities, applies principles of performance improvement, and may participate in Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee activities as appropriate. Performs comprehensive clinical assessments and collaborates with the integrated healthcare team to provide quality patient care. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Oversees the activities of the pharmacy technicians, coordinating workflow and may, when appropriate perform the final check of medications prior to being dispensed. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
- Critically evaluates medication therapy and makes recommendations to improve patient medication regimens. Ensures appropriate and cost effective drug therapy. Areas of focus may include but are not limited to evaluating and addressing drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, contraindicated medications, inappropriate therapeutic regimens, adverse drug reactions, pharmacokinetics, disease state management and rational effective medication regimens. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions.
- Functions as a therapeutic consultant in areas that may include rational and appropriate use of medications, clinical pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, disease state management and nutrition.
- May participates in Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee (P&T) activities as appropriate. Evaluates and recommends medications for formulary. Prepares Formulary evaluations for P&T consideration.
- Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement consistent with job expectations. Incorporates quality improvement principles into other activities and projects (i.e. data collection, documentation). Develops criteria for drug use evaluations, medication use indicators and disease-based evaluations.
- Provides oversight and assists with the development and implementation of evidence-based medication guidelines/protocols. Designs and implements medication monitoring guidelines and programs for both staff and clinical pharmacists.
- In a Home Care setting: the clinician assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan through out the course of therapy. Documents in the patient clinical record all recommendations and interventions communicated to the physician. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications/IV solutions in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work according to literature guidelines. Completes all documentation associated with filling prescriptions and verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physicians agent. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcome is met. Therapy day and prescription information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely billing. Monitors patient response and documents interventions as appropriate. May assist in medication delivery and documentation collection per current compliance standards. May also be required to take after hours calls as needed.
A degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy licensure in the applicable state of practice within 90 days of hire date May be required to possess a valid drivers license and be eligible for coverage under the companys auto insurance policy.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, Physicians and other contacts.
Must have knowledge of medication management software, particularly pharmacy system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems.
Completion of an accredited pharmacy residency program or previous clinical pharmacy experience is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.