Operating Engineer II-FAC0000Z
This position is responsible for the safe, reliable and efficient operation of all Detroit Service Center equipment and systems, as required to provide an optimum work environment for all facility personnel, data processing, and print center devices, critical to servicing BCBSM customers. Also, responsible for provision of emergency service response to all site emergencies, maintenance of all assigned spaces and equipment, and oversight of all contractor activity for protection of the BCBSM work environment for all buildings as assigned within region.
- Operate and maintain the Detroit Service Center facility, physical plant systems and equipment. Must possess proficiency in the operations and maintenance of HVAC systems and equipment, the operation of emergency and standby power generation systems.
- After normal working hours, provides the highest level of facility system expertise and authority to assure the continuity of environmental and power services to the Detroit Data Processing Center and Print Center. Assumes the leadership role for all physical plant operations in the absence of direct supervision.
- Must not leave Post of Duty, per City of Detroit Ordinance #706-G, until properly relieved by competent, qualified, licensed personnel, or until applicable systems are secured.
- Must be able to work any shift, as this is a 24/7 facility.
- Assumes a leadership role in responsibility to facility emergencies, in the absence of leadership/management. All emergency responses shall be closely coordinated with BCBSM Security.
- Install, operate and maintain the Building Automation System and components. Under the direction of leadership, assist in the development, installation and programming of the Building Automation System and components.
- Provides installation, maintenance and diagnostic services on facility refrigeration equipment and systems, HVAC equipment, boilers, controls and all miscellaneous equipment required to support physical plant and facility operations.
- Provides diagnostics and service to electrical control systems as required to support HVACR, physical plant and facility operations.
- Maintain a daily record of all operation and maintenance activities, affecting the facility systems.
- Perform all periodic standard operational and maintenance procedures.
- Tour the entire facility at least once each shift and inspect all systems and equipment for proper operation.
- Minor repairs and adjustments shall be made as necessary. Any discrepancies found shall be logged and corrected. Inform team leadership if any discrepancy remains uncorrected.
- Must be aware of all activities which may adversely impact the facility environment or the health and safety of its occupants. Maintains authority to stop any activity that negatively impacts the facility environment and must notify team leadership to resolve the issue(s). Knowledge and compliance with, all federal, state and local regulations are required.
- Responsible for maintaining assigned equipment and spaces in optimum operational condition. Team leadership must be notified of any maintenance that cannot be performed due to conflicting responsibilities or assigned projects.
- Must meet minimum performance standards provided by leadership and maintain system operational proficiency upon completion of the qualification guidelines. Upon completion of training period, incumbent will be a qualified facility system expert and provide assistance as necessary, to authorized supervisor / employee, in the safe and proper lockout hazardous energy sources on all facility systems or equipment.
- Track all daily work in addition to Preventative Maintenance in the Angus Work Order system.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent is required.
- Completion of BCBSM Service Center Systems and Jefferson Facility Systems Qualification Guidelines within specified time frames.
- A minimum of one (1) year DDC/BAS operation and maintenance experience with a minimum of two (2) years operational experience in a comparable facility.
- City of Detroit First Class Refrigeration Operators License, EPA Refrigerant Recovery Certificate and Valid Michigan Driver's License required.
- Boiler Operations and Refrigeration / Electrical / Mechanical service licensing preferred.
- Must be able to work any shift, weekends and holidays.
- Must be familiar with all applicable hand power tools and pertinent occupational, health and safety standards. Must be able to communicate well with customers, staff and employees.
- Ability to lift up to 80 pounds.
- Other related skills and/or abilities may be required to perform this job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other grounds, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
OrganizationFacilities Security & Doc Mgmt-0201
Facilities - Mechanical - UR - Non-exempt - X285A