Job Title: Operating Room Liaison - Minimally Invasive
At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
Coordination and oversight of daily activities between the OR and Sterile Processing Department (SPD) to facilitate efficient case flow both inside and outside of the OR Responsible for projects and process improvement initiatives in compliance with contractual obligations. Promotes customer service/satisfaction through training, education, and communication with staff and physicians.
- Assists the operating room staff in preparing the OR suite for surgery by assisting in instrument and equipment preparation.
- Works cooperatively with Surgery and Central Sterile to jointly resolve issues or develop better services for surgical implementation.
- Supports Surgery staff by ensuring communication with Central Sterile and facility staff prior to and during cases to ensure all instruments, disposables and equipment are present prior to surgery start time. Must be able to resolve issues or offer alternatives when necessary.
- Facilitates action required to obtain additional instruments, equipment and/or other items during surgery. Verifies that required instrumentation has been sterilized and is available for next-day, call or weekend cases.
- Provides instrument maintenance and cleaning.
- Performs inventory replacement procedures to ensure all instrumentation is in OR suite in advance of cases.
- Creates and maintains IMS/physician preference cards and assists in updating and maintaining facility preference cards.
- Addresses issues in communication/procedures by proactively reviewing SOPs and procedures and suggesting modifications to ensure clear and precise communication and actions with all affected departments.
- Participates and assists in employee orientation, on the job training, in-service education and IMS or facility quality assurance programs when needed.
- Responds to problem calls from Surgery during and after regular business hours as required by contract.
- Always communicates in a professional manner to all hospital staff and company employees.
- Transports sterilized instrumentation to the OR area as needed.
- Assists in removing soiled or un-sterile instrumentation and scopes from the OR area, transporting them to the designated cleaning area as needed.
- Ensures quality of care by cleaning, maintaining and assisting in the repair of IMS and designated hospital instrumentation and equipment.
- Processes and cleans all equipment according to IMS and manufacture’s guidelines, including the use of protective equipment as indicated in IMS SOPs.
Duties - cont'd
- Places instrumentation in appropriate containers using IMS tray list. Ensures all instruments are properly arranged in instrument trays and have no broken insulation or broken operational parts.
- Routinely lubricates all instrumentation to ensure proper operation of moveable parts, according to IMS and manufactures’ guidelines.
- Utilizes the Hi-pot and Rigid Ready Tester on all instruments and scopes.
- Assists in the routing of instrumentation for routine sharpening by obtaining and completing required forms for approval.
- Documents and sends broken instrumentation out for repair.
- Ensures continuity and quality of IMS services by providing support services in the OR suite.
- Assists in the cleaning of video carts and equipment.
- Completes documentation as required for inventory/equipment requests, instrument sets, etc.
- Meets with and works with Operating Room staff and surgeons as required.
- Follows IMS SOPs.
- Presents in the hospital at scheduled time and consistently ready for work assignments.
- May be assigned to facilities with an on-call structure and must adhere to the on-call schedule.
- Performs special projects in the OR and SPD per customer needs and contract deliverables.
- Aptitude for troubleshooting in a high paced environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the application/use of instrumentation.
- Demonstrates dependability and accountability as an IMS employee.
- Adheres to IMS dress requirements including attire for outside and inside OR, neat and well-groomed at all times.
- Willingly accepts assignments and performs effectively on a daily basis.
- Responds in a timely manner via phone, text and email as needed and performs needed follow up.
- Shares knowledge with co-workers through open communication and continuous upgrading of skills.
- Follows chain of command within hospital and Company regarding problems or issues to ensure proper communication and resolution.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and medical terminology.
- Knowledge and understanding of a variety of OR procedures' surgical instruments (including working parts and proper inspection)
- Associate's Degree
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certified in related field or ability to obtain certification within 12 months required.
Requires thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and is capable of learning software programs and/or hardware as required. Requires Smart Phone knowledge.
Ability to build and maintain relationships; execute customer service, leadership, adaptability, and problem solving.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Must be able to push/pull up to 250 pounds.
STERIS is a $2B, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization with approximately 12,000 associates worldwide and operates in more than 100 countries.
If you need assistance completing the application process, please call 1 (440) 392.7047. This contact information is for accommodation inquiries only and cannot be used to check application status.
STERIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained, transferred and promoted in all job groups regardless of race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law. We are not only committed to this policy by our status as a federal government contractor, but also we are strongly bound by the principle of equal employment opportunity.
The full affirmative action program, absent the data metrics required by § 60-741.44(k), shall be available to all employees and applicants for employment for inspection upon request. The program may be obtained at your location’s HR Office during normal business hours.
Nearest Major Market: Mobile AL
Job Segment: Medical, Surgery, Testing, Inspector, Instrumentation, Healthcare, Technology, Quality, Engineering