Element has an opportunity for an Operations Manager. In this role you will be reporting to the General Manager and perform a variety of leadership responsibilities within the assigned location to insure timely and accurate test results are delivered. All Operational Leadership positions must be proficient in a number of core business skills including but not limited to compliance to established safety rules, code of conduct, and company policies and procedures.
- Ensures that safety and quality standards are being met and maintained at all times within the company's safety and QA programs
- Responsible for the location safety performance and awareness; spearheads and manages initiatives that drive a culture of safety first
- Under the direction of the General Manager, is responsible for directing, coordinating, facilitating and monitoring the daily activities of the lab operations department managers and supervisors (typically 3 or less direct reports with an overall staff that is less than 15 employees)
- Provides and sets direction within the lab to ensure that production goals and customer expectations are consistently met in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of Element capabilities, processes and expertise to be able to clearly explain the benefits of Element testing services to all audiences -- internal and external
- Effectively inspire and communicate to both direct and indirect reports with the end result being a more thoroughly equipped workforce to meet customer needs on a daily basis
- Responsible and accountable to assigned direct reporting staff and to indirect departmental decisions to include hiring, performance management, and performance review decisions and execution, and approval of overtime and time cards
- Work with assigned staff to ensure work schedules are maintained and balanced
- Maintain an environment of respect and dignity within the department covering employee interactions and problem solving while ensuring work rules are known and followed
- Consult on various ways of testing requested by the client and provide alternatives and "up" selling with the various add on testing capabilities
- Advise team on technical issues with regard to the successful and timely completion of daily work
- Serves as key member of and contributor to, the lab's leadership team in the development and implementation of the lab's strategic direction
- Key contributor in terms of establishing priorities and allocating resources to ensure that the lab runs smoothly and efficiently
- Works effectively with lab functional managers and supervisors to develop and maintain positive employee relations
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) from an accredited 4-year college or university in an engineering or technical-related discipline with background in the medical device industry
- Working knowledge of laboratory safety with extensive knowledge of the current suite of testing capabilities
- Proven ability to support and train staff members for the department in order to meet customers’ expectations on testing
- Strong computer skills with basic mathematical skills with the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry a plus
- Ability to lift <50 lbs. often and > 50 lbs. on occasion and stand on feet for long periods of time
- Technical leadership is vital to the production and operation of assigned tests with advanced working knowledge to operate various testing equipment
- Ability to communicate (written and oral) effectively with clients and colleagues with great attention to detail and timing of results
- Proven ability to multi task and work under strict time lines
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to effectively establish and maintain two-way communications to understand the needs and concerns of all departments
- Understanding of continuous improvement disciplines such as Six Sigma, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, etc.
- Strong project management, analytical and problem solving skills provide go-to insight in the daily efficient operation of the lab
- Proven track record of success with regard to technical competency both inside and outside of the lab
We are Element, one of the fastest growing testing, inspection, certification and calibration businesses in the world.
We deliver critical services in Materials Testing, Product Qualification Testing, Certification, Device Calibration and Advisory Services to the Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Industrials, Fire and Building product, Infrastructure and other leading sectors, where failure in service is simply not an option.
Everything we do helps our customers to build better products; get their products to market on time; save them time and money; and minimize the risk associated with product development and production.
Our mission is simple: to be the best testing partner in the world and together we strive towards a common vision of becoming the world’s most trusted testing partner.
We have four values that we strive to live by every single day.
- Safety - We keep our colleagues and visitors safe
- Integrity - We act honestly and fairly to do the right thing
- Excellence - We set new standards of excellence in everything we do
- Partnership - We work together for the benefit of our customers
When combined with our mission and vision, the ethos this creates, enables Element to deliver one thing. CERTAINTY. We exist to help make certain that the materials and products we test, inspect, certify and calibrate for our customers are safe, quality, compliant and fit for purpose.
At Element, we always take pride in putting our people first. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our Vision of becoming “the world’s most trusted testing partner”.
All suitably qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective work related criteria and without regard for the following: race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the applicable governing laws.