Headquartered in Smithfield, Va., since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich®, and Nathan's Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
In Operations, you would be on the front-line of the business; overseeing production, tracking product yields, and making necessary adjustments. Ensuring that safety and USDA health standards are met throughout all steps of the manufacturing process. You would be a key player in upholding the trusted quality in which Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other brands are known to possess.
The Operations Manager position is responsible for planning, leading, guiding, directing, and managing a specific plant or area of a plant consistent with policies and procedures of Smithfield as well as with Federal, state, and local law. This position is accountable for the high quality of all products produced, the profitability of the facility, the safety of employees, security of the facility, budget planning, management and control, human resource utilization and treatment, and the development of a total employee team. This role ensures their area of their facilities plant labor, raw material, yields, supplies, waste and human resources are managed in the most effective manner, resulting in a positive contribution to the bottom line of the company P & L.
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others. For more information, visitwww.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Coordinates all shift operations, including the activities of salaried and hourly production group leaders.
- Maintain a high standard of employee relations to insure that Smithfield is an employer of choice and employees are aware of their obligations.
- Provide training and counsel employees when necessary.
- Recognize through formal programs to keep employees informed and acknowledge their efforts.
- Initiate and/or maintain required safety and ergonomic programs to insure a safe working environment and meet company goal of an injury free workplace.
- Ensure employee safety training, assist in the identification of and correction of safety hazards and ergonomic issues.
- Set and attain goals to reduce injuries and cost per claim of injuries.
- Maintain desired product quality and safety.
- Ensure all staff and employees know and understand HACCP and SSOP documents; CCP’s and the HACCP plan.
- Maintain product failures and foreign material issues.
- Guides group leaders in safety, food safety, quality, process control, personnel practices, efficient operations, employee development, and employee retention goals.
- Responsible for operation layout, automation improvements, budgeting and cost improvements.
- Maintain or exceed goals on yields and efficiencies.
- Ensure all operating procedures are followed and correct and/or update when needed.
- Assure that all specs are followed with no change until yield update, labor analysis, and cost analysis have been studied.
- Maintain a continuous effort for improvement seeking ways to improve.
- Initiate and modify as necessary a cost control program that will assist the company in remaining competitive.
- Develop and manage a system that tracks direct and indirect labor, inedible product, and film and bag costs with the goal to reduce costs to below budget.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 7+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies and operations procedures.
- Knowledge of OSHA Standards and USDA and HACCP regulations.
- Ability to lead a diverse work force.
- Knowledge of SAP, Internet, spreadsheet, Word processing, order processing and sales software.
- Must be able to travel 5% of the time and work nights & weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the plant.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment and physical demand characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.