Old Dominion Freight Line is currently recruiting for an Operations Supervisor. Our Supervisor will be responsible for managing a shift or section in a service center while maintaining and achieving the department/shift and service center and/or company standards for safety, quality, efficiency, cost, service and delivery, training and development and housekeeping.
- Monitors and evaluates the safety of each employee on a daily basis, trains on safety processes as needed
- Monitors and evaluates the safe and efficient planning, loading and unloading process of freight throughout the shift
- Monitors, evaluates, and teaches employees safe lifting techniques as well as uses safe lifting as needed throughout the day
- Monitor and maintain housekeeping within the shift to ensure safety and productivity
- Manages, assigns and supervises pickups and deliveries to employees in the area to ensure proper utilization and development of employees, equipment, loading and unloading while meeting OD and customer expectations
- Closely works with the Service Center management to ensure alignment in meeting daily/weekly/monthly and yearly business objectives
- Provide instruction, analyses, suggestions and ideas for the improvement of operations within the shift, department and facility
- Provides positive and constructive feedback to employees on a continual basis regarding ROI, MPH, Stops per hour, return shipments, missed shipments, delivery/pick up errors, overall productivity, etc.
- Conducts daily inspections to ensure compliance with local state, federal safety regulations, as well as OSHA compliance, and DOT compliance
- Ensures that 100% of trailers are loaded correctly to ensure safe transport of freight are being used
- Strive for continuous improvement in all areas of service center operations
- Operates AS400 system, BLU system, DYMS and any other computer/internal freight monitoring systems used within the company to monitor freight movement
- Complete forklift job training knowledge and uses a forklift as necessary within the service center
- Conducts daily shift meetings
- Makes quick and informed decisions based on the volume levels and communicates schedule to affected employees
- Inspects working conditions of tools and equipment needed for safe operation within the area and directs the correction of any improper or adverse condition that exists
- Comprehends and ensures compliance with company and government regulations
- Works assigned shift/s as needed, must be available to work depending upon customer pick up and delivery schedules.
- Uses OD’s proprietary technology system permitting consistent monitoring of shipment locations as freight moves through the various terminals while communicating continuously throughout the day with associates, customers and team members verbally and through other computer operating systems
- Complete the various company and government forms utilized in freight movement such as shipping orders, city stripping manifests, freight bills, inter-terminal movement forms (ITM's) and exception forms.
- Responsible for staff within department including hiring and disciplinary action
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Some college preferred.
- 2 years of experience with operations, preferably in the transportation industry
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Working knowledge of AS400 and Microsoft Office
- Good verbal and written communication skillsStrong interpersonal skills
Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
Join the OD Family Today!
As a Full Time member of our Family, you are eligible to receive:
- Health, Dental & Vision Benefits
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Flex Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Wellness Program
- Employee Credit Union, Vacation & Holiday
- “Birthday Holiday” who doesn’t love some extra attention on their Birthday?
Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, and/or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military status, Vietnam Era and/or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law(s).