Job Title: Operations Supervisor
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Hayward, CA Service Center
Daylight Transport is currently recruiting for an Operations Supervisor. Our Supervisor will be responsible for supervising a shift or section in a service center while maintaining and achieving the department/shift and service center and/or company standards for safety, quality, efficiency, cost, service and delivery, training and development and housekeeping. The supervisor must complete the various company and government forms utilized in freight movement such as shipping orders, city stripping manifests, freight bills, and exception forms. As Daylight continues to learn, innovate and succeed, the Supervisor will need to monitor shipment locations as freight moves through the various service centers while communicating continuously throughout the day with independent contractors, associates, customers and team members verbally and through other computer operating systems.
- Manages all employee work schedules and time off requests.
- Closely works with the Operations Manager/Assistant Manager and/or Service Center Manager to ensure alignment in meeting daily/weekly/monthly and yearly business objectives.
- Conducts daily inspections to ensure compliance with local state, federal safety regulations, as well as OSHA in conjunction with the safety team.
- Strive for continuous improvement in all areas of service center operations.
- Knowledge of Truckmate system and any other computer/internal freight monitoring systems used.
- Diligently monitors freight movement.
- Complete forklift job training knowledge and uses a forklift as necessary within the service center.
- Makes quick and informed decisions based on the volume levels and communicates schedule to affected employees by using manpower worksheet.
- Works assigned shift/s as needed, must be available to work depending upon customer pickup and delivery schedules.
- Monitors and evaluates the safety of each employee daily, trains on safety processes as needed.
- Monitors, evaluates, and teaches employees safe forklift techniques as well as uses safe lifting as needed throughout the day.
- Keeps strategic relations with Linehaul operations to monitor freight movement.
- Manages, assigns employees around the dock to ensure proper utilization and development of employees, equipment, loading and unloading while meeting Daylight’s and customer expectations.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES – Yes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE – High School diploma or General Education degree (GED) required. Preferred of one-year of Management/Supervision experience and/or training.
LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY- Apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Must possess analytical skills and ability to think quickly.
OTHER SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS - Computer literate, PC and mainframe; Previous forklift experience a plus, must be able to have a flexible work schedule in order to meet customer pickup and delivery schedules
PHYSICAL DEMANDS- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to speak or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work place environment is usually moderate to low.
We offer a very competitive base salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and matching 401(k).
Daylight Transport is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.