Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Operations Technician III – Federal ISP supports a highly-skilled technical team working on complex network system equipment, and installation and maintenance assignments. The Ops Tech will configure, install, test, and maintain network fiber optic equipment (OC-3 to OC-192, and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) components).
The Main Responsibilities
- Strong working knowledge and experience on DWDM Layer 1, Metro Ethernet, and IP communications (IPv4, IPv6, routing protocols)
- Technical knowledge and experience in contemporary technologies (e.g. MPLS, TDM, Ethernet, eLAN-eLine, TCP/IP, BGP, QoS, IP, etc)
- Respond to and resolve network alarms. Perform circuit and equipment/network restoration, recognize potential jeopardy conditions and notify management with risk potential and impact assessments
- Management of circuits (T1 - 100Gb, Ethernet & IP), perform testing and activation of new network circuits as well as long-haul, metro and international optical networks
- Work very closely with NOC for all demand and scheduled maintenance
- Interface with fiber vendors, telecom providers, and other entities
- Review and interpret EDPs and as-built engineering documentation
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Associate degree in Engineering, Electronics, Software, or Networks; or a related technical or vocational education or equivalent experience. Seven or more years applicable work experience
- Minimum of 5+ years experience with SONET based, long-haul and metro transport networks, next-generation DWDM wavelength systemsDCCS cross-connect systems and/or Ethernet, VPLS, IP, MPLS
- Previous experience with broadband and/or narrowband circuit maintenance, testing and restoration, and circuit activations
- Previous experience with routers, IP protocols, configurations, interfaces is strongly preferred.
- Analyze, test and repair Layer 2/3 network problems. Ensure services conform to customer mandated SLAs for latency, packet loss, jitter, throughput. Ability to test using standard protocols.
- Demonstrated leadership profile to manage customer networks, proactively track and escalate issues, engage resources to expedite service/network outages, professional interaction skills with customers and management
- Ability to relate technical issues to management
- Prior experience with Transport platforms (i.e. Nortel, Cisco, Ciena, Lucent and Tellabs) and Data platforms (Cisco, Juniper, Adtran)
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple issues simultaneously through effective work prioritization.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and logical thinking when under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and develop technical skill set of shift technicians
- Previous experience with Gov't networks and customers. Ability to interface in a professional manner with management and customer is essential
- Flexibility with regard to work levels and shift accommodation is imperative
- TS/SCI + Security clearance
Requisition #: 236572
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.