*This is a position we are accepting applications for, but do not have any current openings.
C. S. McCrossan is a diversified highway/heavy civil general contractor, which provides construction infrastructure services to federal, state, county and municipal transportation departments. We are committed to managing our resources for the benefit of our clients and employees, and providing the highest standard of quality and safety in the completion of our projects. Our innovative approach in both construction and project management has yielded successful partnerships with government and private agencies. We value collaboration and cooperation and believe in extending respect and courtesy to everyone.
- Job Type: Union, Seasonal
- Minimum Years of Experience Required: Varies
- Minimum Level of Education Required: High School/GED
- Specialty: Commercial, Industrial
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Operators at C. S. McCrossan operate a variety of heavy equipment and trucks for purposes of road construction, grading, flood control, excavation, construction of sewer lift stations and dams, etc. Operators will operate various pieces of heavy equipment including but not limited to: cranes, bulldozers, backhoes, graders, excavators, pavers (asphalt and concrete), compactors, bobcats, loaders, rollers, scrapers, off-road articulating trucks, sweepers, farm tractors, water trucks and taxcavators. Duties may include breaking up existing road, moving dirt and terrain and excavating areas, installing utilities, leveling and preparing work surfaces, and moving heavy pieces of construction material and equipment through the use of various machines. The construction work of an Operator is of a seasonal nature, typically occurring between the months of April and November.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- General knowledge of the heavy highway construction industry
- General knowledge of heavy equipment operation
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to heavy equipment operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Operate trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operate trucks and construction or power equipment, such as mechanized broom, backhoe, man-lift, dump truck, snowplow, road grater, front-end loader, hydraulic excavators, skid steers, and jetter/inductor truck.
- Operate jackhammers, mowers, brush clippers, and other small equipment and tools to maintain street and utility systems.
- Work with line crew in digging ditches and trenches, hoisting materials, tools, equipment, and any related work with backhoe, road grater, or front-end loader.
- Perform routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment and refer defects or repairs to supervisor; clean equipment.
- Assist in the installing and maintenance of traffic control devices.
- Serve as ground-person on the line crew as required and assigned.
- Use of motorized vehicles and equipment, including back-hoe, dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, street sweeper, jetter/inductor truck, road grater, front-end loader, street roller, manlift, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, aeroil propane kettle, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, telephone, ditch witch, and hydraulic excavator.
- Wear personal protective equipment as required
- Additional operator construction duties as assigned
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions
- Ability to maneuver under and over equipment, as well as climb into/out of the cabs utilizing steps and ladders
- Constant sitting during machine operation
- Moving over uneven terrain
- Constant use of foot and hand controls
- Use of track spade/shovel to clear mud from the tracks and underbelly of machine as needed
- Move barricades/sand bags to clear area as needed
- Ability to stand and walk around machine when completing pre-trip inspection, clearing underbelly, and throughout the worksite on uneven terrain
- Demonstrate or be corrected to 20/20 vision
- Exposure to various weather conditions
- Exposure to noise, dust and other materials
- Exposure to heavy equipment, power tools and traffic
Knowledge of and compliance with all Company safety requirements, policies and safety training.
Willingness to carry out other related duties assigned or requested by the Supervisor
Benefits are provided through the union
Thank you for your interest in this position with C. S. McCrossan. To begin the application process, click the apply button above.
C. S. McCrossan