Optical Design Engineer
A fast-growing Southern California high tech company specializing in advanced military defense, homeland security, and energy solutions is seeking an energetic Optical Design Engineer to join the Corporate Operations Department. The successful candidate will have hands-on experience in optical design, optomechanics, and optical components and setups along with an emphasis on practical optical design (Zemax), optical engineering, and optical system integration of novel optoelectronic and optical components and systems. Typical technology developments the selected applicant will work on 2D displays, fiber optics, testing, and prototyping small electro-optical devices and systems.
· Develop prototype systems by using practical optical designs, state-of-the-art optoelectronic technologies and solutions, with opportunity for managing on-going and future projects by collaborating with colleagues, consultants, and contractors.
· Contributing innovative ideas and assisting in writing proposals involving the development of optical devices and systems for the Defense industry.
· MSc or PhD in Optics, Holography, Optoelectronics, Optomechanics, Applied Physics or other related engineering disciplines.
· 2-5 years of experience in multidisciplinary research and development.
· Superior hands-on and practical optical design (Zemax) at the optical system level
· Experience with heads-up-displays (HUD) and/or head-mounted-displays (HMD) is strongly desired, but not required
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a team and goal oriented approach, an interdisciplinary outlook and strong self-motivation.
About Physical Optics Corporation:
What makes POC a great place to work? We are a company of smart, curious, and driven individuals. Our culture is fast paced, diverse, and innovative. POC is a place where people come from different backgrounds and experiences to come to do their best work.
POC offers its employees a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit plan including medical, dental, life, disability, employer contributed 401k, tuition assistance, generous vacation benefits and much more. It’s not just a job. It’s a career and a path to the future. You will be part of a diverse culture of learning, teaching, and mentorship.
Before applying, please note: This position can be hired as an Optical Design Engineer or Senior Optical Design Engineer.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
DOD security clearance preferred. Unless otherwise stated in the requirements section of an individual job listing, our positions require U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency, or other status as a U.S. Person as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3). POC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.