Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The AR/VR Platform Display and Optics team focuses on moving the state-of-art display and optical technologies forward for Facebook AR/VR products, which gives people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. The team is responsible for technology development and maturation, component design, novel manufacturing processes and metrology development, and system integration of display and optics for all Facebook AR/VR products.
We are looking for an experienced and highly self-motivated Optical Product Design Engineer in VR/Portal Optics team. As an Optical Product Design Engineer, you will work closely with System Product Design Engineers, System Architects, Optical Engineers and Research Scientists to develop and design cutting edge viewing optics sub-systems. The successful candidate will lead the mechanical development for complex optical systems from product concept to mass production in a fast-paced environment.
1. Collaborate with System PD team and System Architects to support optical module integration into the HMD systems.
2. Collaborate with optics, display, system engineering, and other cross-functional teams to develop and implement the necessary assembly processes to fabricate the optical modules. Own the assembly processes and guide suppliers to deliver optical modules.
3. Lead design and process explorations for improving design for mounting, assembly tolerances, and total package size.
4. Explore novel optical module structures and optimize for visual performance, reliability and cost.
5. Develop the key metrology equipment and methods for optical module and optical component characterization and quality control.
6. Own the mechanical architecting, design and development of optical modules.
7. Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally (up to 25% of the time).
8. 6+ years of experience in the mechanical engineering of mass-produced consumer electronics.
9. 5+ years of experience in 3D modeling in Solidworks, or ProE.
10. 5+ years of experience in designing and prototyping of high precision optics system.
11. Knowledge of assembly and alignment of multiple optical elements in a sub-system, including linear and angular adjustment.
12. Experiences in running complicated high precision tolerance analysis, directing DFM review, coordinating DOEs, distilling technology build results to design iterations until mass production.
13. Experience devising and constructing tools, dies, molds, jigs, and fixtures, or modifying existing tools and equipment to achieve desired outcomes.
14. Demonstrated interpersonal skills to work across teams, including international OEM partners.
15. Proven communication skills.
16. Analytical, time-management and organizational skills.
17. Energy and drive to work in a startup environment.
18. Human factors design experience.
19. 5+ years of experience in 3D modeling in NX.
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.