III. Essential Job Functions/Duties
Assist the dentist in the administration of treatment through four-handed practices.
- Assure that instruments, charts and radiographs are available in the operatory prior to patient’s arrival
- Provide instruments at the correct time and in proper sequence for any dental procedure
- Prepare dental materials correctly; enough material to meet the needs of the procedure, but not wasting materials
- Anticipate sequence of dental procedures and be prepared in advance
- Maintain a clean and sterile work area according to OSHA guidelines
- Take x-rays using appropriate equipment, techniques and precautions to protect patient from unnecessary radiation.
- Develop, mount and label x-rays properly as needed
- Expose x-rays suitable for diagnostic purposes as needed
- Review health history with patient prior to procedure as needed
- Know various medical conditions and how they can affect treatment
- Know how bacteria can cause infective endocarditis
- Know the ASA Classification
- Know two causes for hypoxia
- Recognize normal hematologic values.
- Know the nerve innervation of the maxilla and mandible
- Understand the differences in local anesthetics.
- Know the three techniques for pain and anxiety control
- Know how to prepare the IV bag.
- Know the differences in drug actions for the agents used in sedation.
- Recognize medical emergencies and know how to react
- Know how various medications and conditions affect hemostasis
- Know perioperative risk assessment of dental patients
Promote an atmosphere supportive of good dental and general health.
- Demonstrate good personal hygiene as an example to the patients
- Instruct patients in brushing and flossing techniques
- Instruct patients regarding good diet habits
Maintain a sterile environment.
- Ensure proper set up of operatories
- Chair side cleanup completed before patient seated
- Assure that any area of the operatory that has been exposed to saliva or the oral cavity is disinfected before seating patient
- Clean and sterilize instruments as needed
- Compliant with OSHA guidelines and protocols
- Keep dental operatories stocked with supplies
Responsible for rotating assignments as delegated.
- Perform housekeeping duties as assigned
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment as needed
- Organize and clean lab as needed
- Rotate through the registration area as determined by the schedule
Acquaint the patient with the aspects of the dental visit; provide support and compassion when needed.
Honors patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality. Adheres to strict patient, customer and business confidentiality standards.
IV. Additional Job Functions/Duties
Assume expanded duties that may be delegated by the dentist:
- Duties delegated are within personal skill level
- Complete accurate chart notes based on the providers original documentation provided
- Performs other duties as assigned
V. Management Responsibilities
VI. Education, Experience and Credentialing
- Certificate in dental assisting from an accredited technical college
- CPR Certification
- Dental Anesthesia Assistant National Certification Examination (DAANCE) after 6 months of employment as an OS assistant
- Previous Dental Assistant experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Hmong
VII. Personal Qualifications
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment
- Efficient and organized
- Reliable and punctual
- Strong communication skills
- Strong patient/customer service skills
- Problem solving skills individually and in a group setting
- Positive attitude, able to build morale
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well as a team player with patient care as the first priority
- Demonstrates cultural competence with patients and staff
- Open to continuous learning to build effectiveness
- Attentive to safety and security issues
- Articulates and supports the mission of the organization
VIII. Physical Requirements
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.